dead animals????

my dd has a new friend.she wears only black and has black fingernails and dyed black hair....thats fine i didnt have a problem........now my dd says I LIKE TO SEE DEAD ANIMALS ON THE ROAD and then she says i like black....she is becoming very distant with us.she is 10 but im thinking there is more to this....we have been having problems in the neighborhood lately.we told her that we would not talk about it in front of her.but she sees whats going on.dont know what to do???

cleo1977

Asked by cleo1977 at 9:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Try to get her to talk. Ask her what she likes about the dead things and why they appeal to her. and I don't think wearing balck is bad that is just self expression. Give her a journal and tell her to write in it daily kind of like something a poet would do. try to get to know her firend just b/c the kid dresses like marilyn manson doesn't mean she is a bad kid. Have a sleep over with that girl and observe them from a distance so you can get a good feel for her. Mostly try to get your daughter to talk and you listen. Ask her how her day was and have a mother daughter day (if possible). But the key is when she starts to talk don't interject your opinon or tell her she is wrong, or interupt, just listen to her insight. Kids get distant at that age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• OP---ya when she said about the animals i just listened....she really didnt say much.as for the black my middle dd was kind of gothic when she was younger shes 24 now. she is a hair dresser..hence her creativity......i know the little girl whos has become my dd friend has no friends for this reason.people have told me not to let my dd play with her.we had her over on sunday...my dh said she was real polite.both her parents are lawyers....not that that has anything to do with it....
    cleo1977

Answer by cleo1977 at 10:03 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Let your daughter be friends with whomever she'd like. Unless her friends are hurting people I don't see a problem with it. I've had friends in every crowd from cheerleaders to goths. I've been through every phase as well. Learning oneself is a part of life. Let your daughter learn who she is. As for the dead animal thing, who knows. She may just be curious about death. It's a part of life. You should ask her about her fascination with it.
    SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 3:12 AM on Apr. 2, 2010