Have you ever had a Breast biopsy? Any advice on this?

I'm wondering what to expect at a breast biopsy? I know when I went to the dentist and delivered my children . What they gave to numb me wasn't too effective. Any advice, suggestions Etc.. would be helpful. I've had a other area biopsy and that was very painful. Did you heal quickly? Then what's next. I'm unable to sleep. Stressing out. The look on DH's Face is pure sadness. He knows my bio mom died from breast cancer at age:46. So any thing you can share. I appreciate it. Thank you in advance. Or pm me if you have the time! I'd be grateful.

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 9:29 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Health

• When I was pregnant I found a huge lump in my breast (I was 23)and they couldnt do anything about it till after I had my DS. However, they did do a biopsy and it didnt hurt at all. They took a needle and poked the area about 30 times (he actually never took the needle out of my skin just moved it around inside up and down. It was a little sore afterwards but nothing I couldnt handle. The rusults were a Fibro Adenoma. which needed to be removed but Im perfectly fine now. By the way, I have a huge history of it also. Both my grandmothers had to have both breasts removed and my mother has had some cancerous cells removed. So as long as you stay on top of it, you should be fine! I get mamograms every 6 months (im 35 now) and I check them all the time. Good luck! Let us know how it goes and... Stay positive! :)
    Rjmjpappy

Answer by Rjmjpappy at 9:45 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I found a lump in my breast about 7 years ago at age 41. They did a biopsy. I was put under general anesthetic, & felt nothing. I was sore for a few days, but it was more the anesthetic that had me out of it for a couple of days. It was not cancerous. Then 3 yrs ago when they did my mammogram they decided that the lump had grown, & they wanted to biopsy it again, this time they removed the lump, again, general anesthetic, didn't feel anything, a little out of it for a couple of days. They removed a lump the size of a grapefruit from my left breast. It was still non-cancerous. I have a very faint white scar on the side of my breast. It's healed very well.

Relax, even with your family history, it's unlikely to be cancer if you are in your 40's or younger. With your history especially, I would definitely have it checked. If they do find cancer. Most breast cancer is treatable, few women die of breast cancer. PM me if you want!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:48 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I had a surgical wide excision biopsy for an area of calcifications in one breast-a groupcalcifications was removed plus a wide area around it too. Wasnt cancer was atypical ductal hyperplasia -some say form of benign breast disease others say very very early breast cancer. A local used and grounding. Wire hurt.

When I was pregnant with my third baby it was thought I had breast cancer then too, several years before my wide excision. Because I was pregnant my breast surgeon wanted to be sure to get everything out so she brought into the o r a radiologist and an ultrasound machine to be used at the same time as the surgery. My multiple masses turned out to be rockhard cysts -the cyst tissue skin filled as much as physically possible, the liquid inside of the cysts had gotten rock hard. A local was sued because I was pregnant, she was prepared to surgically remove 4 solid masses and w/d 4 cysts fluid. Didn't hurt.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:28 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I did.  I had one of these done.  My husband was more nervous than me. I took it all in strive.  In fact he wanted to wait for me in the waiting room and I told him to go to work and relax.  I would call when I was done.  Didn't hurt and the incision was 1/4" .  This was back in 1995.  Turned out just calcium deposits.

Anonymous

• ^^^ Oh, I forgot this is You'll be okay. =]

Anonymous