How do you know your ideal weight?

I have always been on the heavier side. I know BMI calculators can tell you a target weight range, but how do you know what will look good on you? 140lbs on one person may look awesome, but on another make them look sickly/still overweight. So Im 5'4, currently 165, with a larger frame... what would be my ideal weight? Sorry if this wording was confusing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• the best you could do would be to lose the weight slowly, and take pictures. decide on your own what looks good on you. my "ideal weight" that my trainer said is 125... but i feel healthier and look better at 135. its a personal preference, really. as long as you are able to function and eat healthy, you should be fine.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:05 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I completely understand how you feel. I'm watching Celebrity Fit Club and Nicole Eggert from Baywatch is on it. She is 5'2" 127lbs, I am 4'11" (I have lost weight, but 2 weeks ago, I was 127). Let me just say that WOW, she looks much bigger at 127 than I do. It's really strange too, because she is taller than me. They sell these scales that do a real BMI. You have to take your socks and shoes off and it sends some kind of current through you to measure fat/muscle/bone/water in your body. Other bmi calculators don't know your bone or muscle mass in order to give a proper reading. I do agree with graceful, you'll know what feels good when you get there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Feb. 23, 2010