Your Baby can read?! Has anyone tried it?

Does this really work? Tell me your story!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have not. I taught my own child to read without any gimmicks or special anything...have you tried that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I have the Your Baby Can Read program for my son. He is 11 months old and has been watching it since he was about 6 months old. I think it is a really good program. Whether or not he will be able to read like the kids on the commercials do, I don't know yet. But I don't think it could hurt. My son watches it really well. I think he likes that it has other small children in it. He watches it a lot better than cartoons and other kid shows. The price is a bit steep but it is worth it. It comes with a lot of books and flash cards and 4 DVDs.
    Another set of baby DVDs that my son like are the Baby Einstein ones. You can get them for 15.00 at walmart. But I recently saw on the buy it now on Ebay where you could buy a set of 26 Baby Einstein DVDs for 45.00 which is a great deal and I wish I would have saw that before I bought them from walmart...lol...
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:54 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I have no doubt that SOME children may learn to 'read' from the program but won't they still be deficient in phonics when they stat school? Won't it be frustrating to have to be taught phonics with no ultimate goal? I dunno. I would rather teach my 2-4 year old letter sounds and phonics. they can still be reading 'early' but more efficiently.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• ^^ above anon^^ sorry about the spaces. My cat did it stepping on the key board
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• For the 1st Anonymous- Who wouldn't teach there child to read gimmick or not? And further more if it takes a gimmick to help ad my child along I will do that and MORE! And as far as phonics are concerned I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to teach them if they are already reading. Thank you Blainesmommy09 for sharing your story and helpful hints.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I wanted to get it for my son but he hates to watch TV, it never caught his eye and still won't and he turned 2 in Nov so it just wouldn't work for him... i was such a poor reader that I wanted to give him a headstart I guess, but we still read 3-4 books or more a day in hopes that will help.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:40 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I think it's a farce. Yes, it will work, but you will be wasting SO much time on it because developmentally children aren't ready to learn to read that early. That time will be much better spent on playing with your baby, teaching him things he IS developmentally ready for - then when he/she is 3 or 4, they will be ready and you will spend MUCH less time teaching them how to read. This is based on my own opinion and that of some top experts in the education field.

Answer by missanc at 12:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• nope. My three year old can read her favorite books outloud herself. Just spent 15 minutes a day reading to her and not over 200 for a program the experts say doesn't really work. I'm sure it can help but why spend the money. Make flash cards yourself and work on it. But thats just my opinion.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I learned how to read at 4 yrs old & that was over 30 yrs ago so, I dont think a person needs a video.
    Anonymous

• What happened to spending time with your kids & just reading them a book? And why are parents so pushy about it?! It really impossible for a "baby" to read...a baby cant even talk. How about a program that teaches an 8 mo old grammatically complete sentences!
    Anonymous