Why won't my daughter sleep through the night anymore?

Our daughter is 10 months old. She started sleeping through the night at 3 months and, for the most part, has been an excellent sleeper. Lately, she has been waking up at random times throughout the night, screaming uncontrollably, to the point where her face is broken out in hives. We would change her diaper, give her a little bit of a bottle and rock her to sleep but the moment we put her down she wakes up at starts screaming again. We've checked for fevers, emerging teeth, had her tested for ear infections and but nothing. We thought maybe she was having night terrors, but the doctor said that babies with night terrors don't realize you're there and can fall back to sleep without a problem once the episode is over. She reaches for us once she sees us and cannot stay asleep unless she's being held. What can we do?

Kcampellone

Asked by Kcampellone at 10:18 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you know, about the only thing you can do is just have a few more sleepless nights and let her cry it out for a bit. Always go in and check on her, rub her back or her tummy, say soothing words. And even though her teeth aren't emerging doesn't mean that they aren't floating around causing pain. My daughter was a very hard teether, they would float for months before they would come through. Motrin works great for teething, so does Hylands Teething tablets. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:23 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I disagree with Zakysmommy about CIO.. but I think she's right that the teething is possible. My son was teething and you couldn't feel teeth.. he was drooling, chewing a lot, etc. Try motrin see if that helps.

Is she accomplishing any milestones recently? That can make them do this.. My son is a year old and he just started walking and he's very difficult to put down and wakes up once screaming like that. I think he is having growing pains/achy legs.. Last night I massaged him before bed and he went down so much better and slept through again.

This is also a prime-time for a growth spurt, maybe she is having hunger pains. ALSO a prime-time for the start of separation anxiety, realizing you're separate, that's why I disagree with CIO. I think if you comfort her back to sleep for a bit she'll realize you're going to be there for her (could be a couple weeks or a few days) .

Good luck! It should work out soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Babies aren't supposed to sleep through the nights. Their brains are hardwired to wake at night. For all of evolution they have breastfed, slept with mom, and woke at night to breastfeed and make sure mom was there. You baby is now doing what is natural.

What can you do? Usually it's considered not safe for parents to sleep with a formula fed baby. However since your baby is older you can take her to bed with you, lay her on your chest and let her sleep there. That's what I did.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:38 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Also her world is expanding and that can be quite confusing to a baby, and does cause nightmares. My kids went through a phase when they were about a year and would wake up every night for about a month, if not more and they both slept through the night at 6 weeks. It just took us a couple of months of going in and soothing them back to sleep, although I didn't pick them up unless of course they were sick, that's different. And yea they did cry themselves to sleep but it never lasted long and they never lost any security with me. But all kids are different. What works for one doesn't work for all
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:40 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Why is she changing it? Because that's actually normal. Changes in sleep patterns are expected throughout the first year,. and often a bit after.

Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley/. It will help. But she's quite normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:59 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Gaill.. although I agree with you that co-sleeping is great.. it's not for everyone!

What if this mom gets night terrors? I do. I can't co-sleep bedshare, I could attack my child so I never have co-slept with him in the bed.. And I wish I could've but I couldn't so you really need to offer people options other than co-sleeping bedsharing so people who are perhaps like me would not feel like we have "no options" or are somehow messing with nature in some horrible way that is going to screw up our kids forever.

I think that co-sleeping is a viable option in this instance, but I also think if she just comforts/feeds/offers pain relief to her child for a few more days - couple weeks that it will likely resolve on its own and the baby will go back to sleeping through again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Starting a good schedule / ritual for bed is also a great idea at any point.. I think a great schedule can eliminate a lot of sleep issues.

No cry sleep solution outlines how to start your baby on a great schedule and some common reasons for night-waking/difficulty sleeping like teething pain, growing pain, growth spurts, milestones, etc. that will go on..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Feb. 23, 2010