Opinions and options with storing breast milk. any advice

Hi I am a single mother to an infant and a toddler, so I am trying to save a few dollars for myself. I am in the process of breastfeeding my 4 month old and he will not take the breast. I am constantly pumping and pumping while at work also. I have googled various sites and am looking for a decent way to store my breastmilk. I am using the breastmilk bags, either lanisoh, gerber but that is where my problem is.

1. When I freeze the milk and pull it out in a few weeks to defrost and give my son the milk, it is much sweeter and he has a hard time drinking it.

So that is also why I am coming into this alternative below:

2. I started to purchase several 16 or 32 oz storage containers with lids and there is my other question. Can I store the all milk from the same day, different pumps in one container?? I want to store my 3 o'clock, 6:30 am, 9 am and so on in one container, freeze some containers then leave some

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• in separate containers in the refrig for a day or two.

I know I can leave them in the refrig but since I have so much breastmilk I am always freezing some. I want to get some opinions and what other woman have done for their storage and also if their breastmilk seemed sweeter once defrosted?

Many thanks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• yeah, you can freeze all the milk from the SAME DAY in one container. But be sure all of it is refridgerated, and frozen all together at the end of the day. Don't leave it for days to freeze it, because it won't really be any good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• The milk does not become sweeter, higher in sugar, from being frozen. It can look different.

Fresh milk is always the best and it can be stored in the fridge for 7 days. If your baby is having problems with frozen milk, use fresh. Not only does it taste better but your breasts make milk that is best for your baby for that day. Each days milk is different in composition including protecting the baby from infections that you have been exposed to. When moms and babies were together all the time that would protect the baby from everything the baby was exposed to.

Milk contains live cells. You can combine milk that you have collected at different times. You don't have to use storage bags in the fridge, you can use bottles or glass containers.

www.kellymom.com is a great breastfeeding website and has all the current info on storage guidelines.

A LLL Leader may be able to help you breastfeed. It's free and worth a try.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:34 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Maybe that could be my problem as well. Sometimes I do leave it in there for a day or two then realize I may have too much and I would freeze it.
    Sometimes I freeze it right away as well. It all dependes and I notice not all of the milk has that taste.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Feb. 23, 2010