Okay to all you pull up skippers...

Okay, so on Feb 18th we started potty training... My daughter did amazingly well. She peed 4 times on the potty the first day, and was very excited about it. The next day she sat on the potty numerous times, but only peed once. The next day, she wouldn't sit on the potty at all. I have had her in pull ups during the day since we started. Since then, (I haven't been trying as hard as I should be because we have been really busy and not home...) she hasn't sat on the potty. I have tried to do it while we sing, read books, while she brushes her teeth, watching a movie... nothing makes her want to sit. I have decided to try to just go right to panties... I know she knows what to do. Obviously from the first day. I realize that there will be accidents, but is there anything you would suggest when just switching right to panties?

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 10:34 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You just switch to panties and make sure you are home for a few good days. Going no where. So she can get the potty thing down. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Okay :)!. We dont usually go anywhere, so thats why I started, but things came up this week... :)! Thanks!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 10:37 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• if you are at home, make her go bottomless! no pullup, no panties, NOTHING. You'll be able to gauge when she has to go potty better, because you'll see the signs- fidgeting, grabbing at her crotch, etc. just remind her to go to the potty, and use rewards! We use "freezer candy" (frozen grapes or blueberries) as a good incentive.

If you're wearing something that feels like a diaper (even panties to a newly potty learning child, sometimes feel that way), then you're going to be inclined to do what you have always done- use it. Taking it away completely will help hasten the learning process.

My kids all "potty trained" by their self. I presented them with a seat, took the diaper away, and let them do what they needed to. It was very little work, and very few accidents (you just remind them to go frequently).

Good luck!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:41 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I also put demon the potty about 20 mins after she ate or drank... When she wanted up I let her and some days she just wouldn't want to sit! We bribed dd with Hershey kisses and now it's m&ms so when she just doesn't want to sit she will sit for chocolate! Oh, also.... Dd used to pee a little drop before shed sit on the potty after a month or so and we had so many accidents a month in!!! Takes a lot of patience but IMO panties work much better than pull ups, just a lot messier!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:49 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Wow... Not "demon" .... Dd! Guess my phone "corrected" me
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:51 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• LOL lil mama... Thanks. I thought you called your daughter that or something.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 10:56 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I am a little hesitant to go bottomless only because I think it would be harder to get her to put anything on when she needs to.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 10:57 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• We used the Gerber Training pants - they're thicker than a panty so they hold more pee if there's an accident, but they feel enough like a panty and not like a pullup or diaper that they know. With DD#3 we only had a couple then handed a dozen more pairs given to us and she was so excited for those she was potty trained (day only) in 2 days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• No, it isn't any harder to get them to put clothes on if they go bottomless. It gives them the opportunity to become self aware, which is a necessary part of learning to eliminate on the toilet. All you are doing is taking away the thing that she is comfortable using- and when you take away ALL coverings, you eliminate all confusion about panties and diapers/pullups, etc. there is NO question about what she is supposed to do.

Guaranteed, you get some cute panties and tell her that she can have them once she has learned to go on the potty, she'll be more willing to do so. But just handing them over isn't a reward, you can use them to your advantage.

After potty training 3 children this way, it just makes sense.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:41 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Thanks Obby. ;)
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 12:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2010