How to I get my son, who is almost 3yrs. to stop cussing. I can't get my husband to stop, so I need another way to approach this problem!

I myself, do not cuss. My husband on the other hand, will not stop. My son has become quite the potty mouth. It is embarrassing to go in public, for fear that he will drop the f bomb. Please help!

hollyvoss

Asked by hollyvoss at 10:35 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• wow! I am not a judgemental person or a mother who smacks their child. But it should stop. I sometimes argue but try my hardest not to use that language around my sons. Exactly it is embarassing and it falls back on us!!! LOL talk with your husband and make him realize what your child is picking up. Use soap, I am only 28 but it's happened to me as a child and I am fine all limbs attached. Or try the time out or take the toys away. Or smack of course not abusive or hard but to make them realize it. I only smack when needed on the hand or leg. I do not do the behind. I tap the mouth a few times when my son gets out of control. I have a 4 yr old and believe me he's bad. But thank god he does not use that language that would not work for me. He picks up several habits from daycare that we are currently working on but I have to keep reminding him that I am incharege and he is not. Hope this helps
    Prican91181

Answer by Prican91181 at 10:44 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• ohhh When hubby's to be in a no swear zone tell your husband to wear on his wrist a rubber band close to the color of his skin -when he wears it it's a no cuss zone. Or buy hubby an i d bracelet with yours and his and ds initials for him to wear and remember not to cuss.

hope things get better!! When my husband has done something gross I reprimand him in front of the kids so that they didn't learn it was acceptable to do that. I felt if I scolded my husband privately 'so as to not embarrass him infront of our kids' that the kids would know for sure how bad x behavior was.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:44 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• your son wont stop unless your husband does. if he cant ask him to use a distraction word. in my house when my oldest was small we had sucha hard time not cusing! someone suggested this distracion word thing......if we caught ourselves cussing we yelled MONKEY first because the child often hears only the word you just yelled and it is funny for them and second because it trains the adult to be aware of how often they cuss and it makes you cut down and/or eventually stop.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:44 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• sorry ... lfl here- meant if I scolded my husband privately about something gross done by hiim my kids wouldn't get the full impact that such behavior or similar behavior's wrong. Scolding my husband in front of our kids taught our kids that dad's words, behavior was as unacceptable as their poor behavior. Bad is bad doesn't matter who does it, it's needed to be corrected.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:51 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I feel your pain... We're trying to watch our language, especially with a 2 y/o running loose. It was (embarassing) funny at his bday party a couple of weeks ago - he let go of his balloon and it got tangled in the ceiling fan and he says "f***". My face turned red and I turned to my (preacher) dad and said "Oh, STUCK!!! Yeah, you're balloon is STUCK in the fan..." Jake says "Stuck? Mamma! F***!!" Clear as freakin day. *Sigh* that was fun.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 11:50 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Your husband really needs to stop. Have a conversation with him when you're not angry. Otherwise, the only suggestion I have is a star chart. Give him a sticker for every few hours he goes without swearing and a reward after every so many stars he earns. Might work for your son too :)
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 12:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Unless your husband stops, your child will not stop. This will be a HUGE issue when your child starts school.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• 3 years old = 3 minute time out. Tell him which words he is not supposed to say, and time him out when he says them. Be firm and do not show any emotion about it. "Whoops, there's that bad word again. Time out."

Explain to him that using bad words is a bad habit, and that it is bad manners to use them. And there are some things that daddies can get away with that litlte boys can't. My husband has a terrible mouth, but my daughter learned early that some words are for grown ups and not for kids.

Then get him into head start or preschool ASAP. Good luck!
    devante9901

Answer by devante9901 at 5:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2010