my baby is four months and still eats every hour, even at night

EBF, is there something wrong with my milk? i'm afraid the dr will tell me to supplement for calories

I don't know why she's eating so often. The longest stretch she's ever slept is 3 hours and that was after her immunizations when they gave her tylenol.

From 11pm to 7am we BF six times.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you timing the feeds in any way? They will nurse more frequently if they're not allowed to come off on their own. Try this too...one breast only for all feeds for a three hour period. Then the other side for all feeds for the next three hours.

She actually does sound pretty normal, though. Three hours sleep is a good stretch. Five hours is sleeping through the night, often not achieved with any regularity in year one.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:56 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I haven't been formally timing, i would guestimate from 5-15 minutes depending on the feed. I never unlatch her myself. Three hours huh? I'll give it a shot, i'm thinking that will make me very leaky on one side.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Your baby may not be getting the high fat hind milk at feeding if you are nursing every hour and using both breasts. If you are using both breasts and nursing for short times on each, 10-15 min, the baby may get only the low fat milk that digests very quickly. Try using only one breast a feeding and let the baby nurse as long as possible on that breast to get that high fat milk. It's called 'finish the first breast first'. The next feeding use the other breast.

If your baby is nursing a lot and it getting too big you may be breastfeeding to try and solve every problem. Babies can be overfed. If your baby is gaining way more than a pound a month then that might be going on. Breastfeeding isn't always the answer and there are other things to do to calm a baby. Most babies love slings or carriers.

www.kellymom.com is a great breastfeeding website
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:05 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I just read your new response and it sounds like you are nursing too short of times on any one breast a feeding. It's ok if the other breast leaks. It may leak the most during a feeding. I was very leaky and I would keep a wash cloth or towel close by at home to catch the mess. When I was out I would usually wear double cloth pads so I could take one out when it got soaked. I would have extras in plastic bags.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:08 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• she is getting the hindmilk, i can tell the difference in color when she unlatches
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• she is not overweight
    Anonymous

• Have you talked to your pediatrician? All 4 of mine went 3 hours between feedings from birth. I can't imagine how tired you must be! I nursed minimum of 20 minutes on each side, and would do whatever I needed to in order to keep them awake to finish the entire feeding (diaper change, undressing, wet washcloth on the face). With a full tummy, she should be able to go longer than an hour.

Answer by missanc at 12:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• the ped will just tell me to supplement
    Anonymous

• i think 15 minutes is a long nursing session, should be plenty of time for baby to get full
    Anonymous