my three month old watches tv

whenever the tv is on in the room, she will stare at it. i hear no screen time but i think she's just focusing on it because its bright and moving. she's not right in front of it or anything, i'm not just going to sit in my house with her without the tv, just wondering if its normal

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's normal.

I know it can be boring at home with a little baby. TV is tempting but having it on all day may not be best for either of you. You might try radio, music, or the Pandora music web site. The constant background of the TV just doesn't seem good for a baby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:12 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• blah w/e gailllllllll ms know it all god your annoying my ds watches tv and so do i we spend alot of time outside when it's not cold he loves it outside ( we have a pool deck and back porch with no sun ) he would spend all day out here if he could but as far as the tv thing goes try and watch more kid friendly things so he can kinda learn at the same time but who cares kids grow up on tv all the time and dont turn out slow or stupid im sick of people saying that it's dumb
    Anonymous

• I grew up with the tv on all the time and enjoy the companionship... but there are studies that link constant tv watching with delays in speech and learning. There is NOTHING good on tv for a child under 2 to learn. It is best to keep the baby away from it - point them away from the tv, not towards it. I understand needing the background noise, I certainly need it. But it is not healthy for kids under 2, and should be very limited.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• no need to be mean :(
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• i'm not trying to teach her anything with the tv, we have a 63 inch in our living room of a very small duplex so if its on she can see it from any seat in the house. i would kind of rather her focus on the tv than the wall though.
    Anonymous

• Turn off the TV until your child is at least two. If you would like data to support this, contact me offlist.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:06 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Eh, my daughter does this, too. We don't watch T.V., but when we do our Mommy & Baby Fitness DVD, she likes to watch the screen.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 4:28 PM on Feb. 23, 2010