Why aren't more pregnant women better informed?

Why is it that in this country we have nearly a 50% c section rate and over 50% induction rate? I think it is because women now don't understand their pregnancy and birth and leave it up to doctors to make their decisions for them, when doctors are doing what makes them and the hospital the most money and patient care has gone done majorly. Why do women hear midwife, doula, homebirth and automatically think "hippy"? I think our health care in this area will continue to get worse and worse if women don't get better information, and stop believing their doctor and start listening to their natural instincts.

truealaskanmom

Asked by truealaskanmom at 11:11 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think her point is that it is often not the woman's choice. Or it is at least not presented to them as a choice. Sometimes drs do things that seem like they aren't a big deal and then that leads to another thing and another thing and another thing until it is a big deal and the woman doesn't have a choice anymore. It's also one area of medicine where practitioners seem to have practices and interventions that don't make sense and aren't even strongly founded in research. The medicalization of childbirth has been very good in some regards. No one can deny that there are women and babies who survive today who would not have survived 100 years ago or even 50 years ago. But, I think the total medicalization of all pregnancies and births has been detrimental.

Actually the US has one of the highest infant mortality rates of the developed countries.
    Anonymous

• Well you just asked a question that no one can answer...except for the women who aren't informed and most of those women probably wouldn't consider themselves not informed.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I agree with you, I think women honestly don't care about the whole birthing experience anymore. They want c-sections so that they don't mess up their lady parts, and inductions so that when they have their baby is convenient to them. I also think that a lot of women just put their trust and decisions completely with the doctors instead of doing their own research and seeing what is the best for them.
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I agree in some ways with what you are saying, but I don't think it's fair to assume that just because a woman has a c-section or an induction that she has not educated herself in child birth and labor practices. I had a mid wife, I read everything I could get my hands on about pregnancy, labor, and delivery. The point is to go into the room informed about your choices, not to go in there demanding something that may not be realistic or medically advisable in your particular situation. I think sometimes people who advocate natural child birth for get that there is a time and a place for interventions. You never know what to expect when you go into labor, it's more important to have an understanding of all possibilities than it is to have an unwavering dogma.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:17 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I think you should worry about yourself.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 11:17 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I agree 100 percent. That is why I did not go into L&D. I could not stand up for my pt and fight every OB with high section and induction rates.. I would lose my job so fast. Last time I was on the postpartum floor because I was floated their; there were 10 women and only 2 was vaginal births. C-sections are great in an emergency but most are not, and a high percentage of inductions end in a c-section..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:17 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I just don't understand why some women are so against c-sections ... OK we all know the risks involved in a c-section, but what's the big deal? Why do you care so much? I never understand this argument. It comes up all the time and every time it baffles me ...
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:23 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I don't really understand why it's so important to you on how other people have children? I really think you need to mind your own business. If you had your children the way you wanted to then thats great, but you need to butt out of others lives and stop worrying so much about them and worry about yourself.
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I only say this because with my first I was the same way, I just went to the doctor read books, and did what they told me, and you know where that got me? On an operating table having a panic attack, my DD ripped from my body because it was more convienent (sp?) for the hospital and the doctor, and I didn't know better than to fall for the scare tactics. Every woman in mother baby while I was there was a c section there were 30 of us, that is not right at all. This time I am informed, I picked my provider with scrutiny and still am skeptical, I am having a doula, and laboring at home until I can't do it anymore. If I didn't have other health concerns I wouldn't go to a hospital to deliver. I am pregnant and having a baby not sick. I think that normal healthy women should use midwives because they know pregnancy labor delivery and babies, where OB's are trained surgeons with some knowledge of pregnancy and birth.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 11:25 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I guess it's never been thought in this way for me.I have 5 kids & birthed 4 of them.I had plenty of information. We all have a choice.I live in CT & was told about different ways to go about having my children.I honestly am very thankful for the Hospital Team I had I have no regrets.I realize we rockthat's not the case for everyone .I think it's to bad that there isn't enough information where you live.Maybe you can get it out there in your Community & find other moms who feel as you do who will help get the word out with you.Good luck!

Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 11:25 AM on Feb. 23, 2010