another potty training question...

i posted on here a few weeks back about how my dd is showing all signs of being ready..and the replies all said she was ready too..i have no doubt that she isnt, but when i take her to the potty, she sits for a second and stands and runs off...she hates being in a diaper, so every time she barely potties she pulls it off, she sleeps in big girl panties at night and doesnt wet at all..but how do i get her to understand that she needs to go when she's on the potty?..how do i get her to recognize that "i need to go" feeling, so she doesn't run off and five seconds later pee all over the floor?..btw..she's 20 months old and has been showing signs for a while now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• get a potty book that you read from front to back with her every time she goes. it just gives her a reason to sit on the potty long enough.......a good one for potty training is everyone poops by taro gomi, its a body science book for potty training little ones...its fun and teaches them about their bodies.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:56 AM on Feb. 23, 2010

• A variety of books to keep her seated at the potty longer. I kept mine in the living room too so she could watch a little tv. ANYTHING to keep her on the potty enough to get her to go pee. Then when that magical moment happened, we did a happy dance, I gave her lots of praise, and an M&M. Then I switched to stickers, and then just praise on its own. I did let her run around though without any panties for those first couple days, she had ALOT of accidents but they became fewer and fewer as she was able to put two and two together.
    Pristine_Dream

Answer by Pristine_Dream at 12:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• we had to get potty books just for the potty. They don't leave the bathroom so that way she will sit and read them... gives my dd just enough time to pee! I also had this problem at 20 mos and just hid the potty for a couple mos (DH was coming home from deployment and we were leaving the state for a month so I also figured to just wait until we got back). We started again as soon as she turned 2 (november) and now she's in panties day and night without peeing! We are working on our trips to the store and my only fear is her peeing her carseat! Then she had a longer attention span and we also bribed with m&ms or hershey kisses.... trying to cut back on those now so she only gets them when she remembers. It takes a little time but your dd will get it very soon!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I don't have a girl, but when my son was younger, sometimes turning on the water in the sink helped.
    Anonymous

• The way i potty train my lil gurl was every time i would i would get her to go as well. and id ask her just about every 15 mins. dose she need to go! and when she'd potty in her potty i'd tell her WHAT A BIG GURL IS AND WHAT A GOOD JOB SHE DID! But how every what works 4 one child may not work 4 another!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2010