To be induced or not to be induced?

How many of you have been induced? Was it the right choice. I am 41 weeks prego's and want to know if I should wait or be induced.

Darlinree

Asked by Darlinree at 11:56 AM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Darlinree, please don't be terrified. Everyone handles it differently. I didn't think my two inductions were all that painful. LONG, but not really painful. Being scared and tense is what would make it worse. Good luck.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:01 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• I was induced for medical reasons. I was able to have an easy vaginal delivery with no epidural. It was my third birth. Labor was more intense. I think I was only able to do it because I was a childbirth educator.

As long as there are no problems with you or the baby it's safe to wait until 42 weeks or longer. If this is your first birth you don't want to be induced unless they force you. It is so much worse and there are risks for you and the baby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I was induced at 41 weeks ended in a c section, you should wait most women go into labor by 41 weeks 3 days and 95% by 42 week so just wait a few more days it will happen on its own.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• My sister was induced at 41 weeks. The baby had been breathing in the merconium and was rushed to ICU upon delivery. She is now a healthy 10 year old.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I was induced at 40wks and 6 days lol. I ended up having a vaginal birth, it was around 12 hours a little less. I don't regret anything about it, everything went as it should have. But it's really up to you, if you want to wait, wait. My doctor didn't want me to go past a week overdue. If your doctor lets you wait another couple days then I say wait.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 12:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I've only been induced once, and I think that if you can avoid it, DO IT! I've had pitocin with my first two, but I went into labor on my own so the dose was very small an it didn't make labor much more painful than what it already was, however when I was induced, the labor was unbearable! And as a side effect, I hemorraged pretty bad.

I do however know there are increased risks of being overdue. My first was overdue by 7 days and when they broke my water I had meconium staining (She had a bowel movement in utero) and had to have the NICU in the delivery room. I didn't even get to hold her because they took her immediately to suction her lungs and make sure she didn't inhale any of the yucky amniotic fluid.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:11 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Well at least you are already 41 weeks and actually have a reason to consider this question. How sure are you of your due date? How regular were your periods? Do you happen to know when you actually conceived (temperature charting or anything) Does you family tend to run long? I would wait. but that is based on my family history. Normal for first time white mothers is 41 weeks and 1 day. 50% go longer than that. Don't be rushed by the medical management model. Induction leads to a 40% increase in C-section (or was it C-section and/or forceps delivery) A normal c-section rate is around 10%. A 40% increase should be 14%. Actual c-section rates are 30-35%. Do your research and make your decision.  Also check your gut.  What is your mother's instinct telling you?

Anonymous

• I have not been induced---I preferred to wait until labor started by itself, but a few of my friends were induced. They said labor was so intense and worse than anything they had before. It can cause injuries, I would wait, unless your Doctor says there is an emergency- anyway,a good reason for being induced.
    Anonymous

• I asked a similar question to this one last week and I just want to tell you to be prepared to be ripped apart by some people on here for even asking about induction.
    I ended up being induced and it didn't really work. However, my body did go into labor on its own after the pitosin was shut off and I am so glad that we went on with the scheduled induction when we did. Our son had a knot in his cord and who knows what would have happened had we allowed him to grow another week before having him. He was almost 9 lbs and I am just so thankful that he is ok. I would just suggest being very open with your doctor. The first thing I asked was what would happen if it didn't seem to be working because I did NOT want to have a c-sec just to end it. She told me she would try the pitosin twice and then just gel to try to get me going. My body ended up responding and delivering on it's own. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I was induced with my 3rd (due to concerns over size) and it was the easiest thing in the world! The contractions weren't any harder or faster, and I was able to relax and let my body do what it needed to because I'd had time to plan and knew that my older two were being well cared for (my oldest has autism, and can't be left with just anyone).
    Your dr is much more knowledgeable about your situation than we are. Talk with him, your husband and make a decision. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 12:25 PM on Feb. 23, 2010