My 11 year old son can not remember.

I have to remind him of everything from brushing his teeth to studying his spelling words(even after I reminded him). I don't know what to do to get him to try. I have made him lists at home and school, but I have to remind him to look at them. I have taken away all video games and TV still last night he didn't remember to study whey his test was today.

Emmike

Asked by Emmike at 12:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• i have the same problem with my 8 year old. i have not found anything that works! i took her to a councelor to try to figure things out and the dumb a$$ talked to her like he was in a freaking bussiness meeting! she completely ignored him and told me afterward that she did not know what he was talking about! i have tried taking things away and all that and i have tried making her a schedule to go by but nothing so far works. i am pretty sure she has adhd or somehting like that but i am terrified of putting my baby on that zombiefying medication. if you figure things out please share!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I have found with my girls (they're 10 and 11) that if I have a specific time and place for them to do their homework, it gets done. I make sure that when they come home from school they have a nice snack and then it's "quiet time" so they can sit at the table to finish their work where I can supervise and answer questions. As far as other stuff, I only remind them once, then they get punished if it's not done or not done correctly. They don't have to "remember" to do something if they do it immediately when they're told like they are suppose to do.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 12:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Ah, welcome to childhood and the beginnings of puberty. It isn't just your child. It is ALL children. They have what I call "selective hearing" and "selective memory". They select what will be heard and remembered.
    Best thing you can do for school work, have a routine. As soon as he gets home from school, have a snack ready and space at the dining room table for studying. Have it quiet and don't hover, but be available to help. Do give him resonable time to do everything and then give him some time to play. AFTER school work is done.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Reward charts work really well for kids this age.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Sounds like my 10 yr old daughter!! I have to tell my dd everything in the morning from brush your teeth, to get your shoes on. Otherwise she will just roll around on the floor and play with the cat and we'd be late to school. I feel like at 10 she should be more responsible. I have also tried lists, chore charts, reward systems, etc but nothing seems to work. And she is a straight A student. Just very immature and unorganized!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Mar. 2, 2010