How do I get my 3 year old to stop bullying her little brother?

My DD is 3 and a half. My DS is 22 months. She is evil to him...pure evil. She pushes him, hits him, scratches his eyes, yells in his face, sits on him, takes his toys, etc. I cannot get her to stop.

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 12:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yes you can. you are the mom and the authority. etry the eye for an eye method if nothing else is working. if she pushes him gently push her back. dont hurt her or anthing just let her know how it feels to be bullied by someone bigger. and with the taking of toys thing. take her favorite toy and put it on top of the fridge or somewhere high. tell her it is not fun when people do this to you is it? do you think your brother likes it when you do this to him?
    Anonymous

• This is an example of why I believe in spanking. Good luck, mama!
    Anonymous

• You can..and only you can. Focus on discipline, rewards and punishment. If she is never disciplined for the behavior..and consistently...she'll keep doing it because she can. Do what works with her...spanking, time outs, putting favorite toys away....do what you have to because this will carry on forever with her peers and siblings if its not nipped now.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I've tried the eye for an eye thing after time out failed. It didn't help. If I did to her what she does to him and asked her if she liked be treating like that she answered "yes." Spanking only made her more agressive and hostile.

I'm hoping to hear from a mom who's been in my shoes and found something that really works.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• "this will carry on forever with her peers and siblings if its not nipped now. "

This I know...that is why I'm searching for advice.

"Do what works with her...spanking, time outs, putting favorite toys away."

I haven't found what works for her yet. Spanking doesn't work. Time out no longer works. I've tried taking away her doll house and other favorite toys.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:28 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Sounds like she doesn't take you seriously and you need to work on being more firm with her and letting her know who is in charge. Tell her she can go sit in her room, or time out until she is nice, when she comes out and keeps doing it she can sit by herself all day.
    Anonymous

• So when you try things like spanking, time outs and putting away toys what does she do? Does she cry or just sit there? Are you 100% persistent with it? Like everytime she does something she is disciplined for it?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2010