Proper etiquette?

If you have a first date with someone at a coffee shop, and you arrive early, do you order coffee and grab a table...? Or wait until they arrive and risk not having a place to sit? I had a first date yesterday and there were 2 seats left when I arrived, my date hadn't shown...when he did, he said OH, you already ordered? And I felt I had to explain myself, my fear of not getting a table for us..no biggee..if I were meeting someone I already knew I wouldn't give a crap...but was this improper etiquette on my part?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Nope its not. You did fine. He probably wanted to buy the coffee is all and maybe felt dumb because he wasnt there first. I would have done the same thing.

Answer by gemgem at 12:11 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I would have done the same thing

Answer by admckenzie at 12:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• OP here..cool, thanks girls, yeah... I was thinking that too, he probably just wanted to buy...
    Anonymous

• what gemgem said :)
    Anonymous

• i wouldve just grabbed the table, i wouldnt of ordered anything tho.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Op here...thanks alexis...I was actually thinking that if I had it to do over again, I might just do that...grab the table and let him get the coffee when he arrives...but that might feel weird too, like I expect him to pay..bruther...I hate all this first date crap..lol
    Anonymous

• Yea, I agree, I would have gotten a table but waited until he got there to order. Either way, though it doesn't seem like too big of a deal to me..
    Anonymous

• It just showed you have an aggressive character. I would have waited even though we wouldn't get a table early. It just shows politeness. 

Now after being marriage for a number of years well that a different story.  ;-)

Anonymous

• ya, i get where your coming from, first few dates are always annoying! lol but yaa, i wouldnt think its weird to wait, and if ya feel weird like he might think you expect him to pay, all ya gotta do is reach for your wallet and see what happens from there..then you can see the real gentleman, if at all..LOL..but yaa, i dont really think its that big of a deal, im sure once he got there and realized it was busy he understood why you gotta drink already! no biggie!!! best of luck to ya!! :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Op here..thanks again to all of you..this guy is rather well off...and seemed surprised I did that, so it felt like a social faux pas or something *eyes rolling* ..maybe I should date guys more in my league, being self conscious doesn't look good on me...lol
    Anonymous