how do i know if my 7 month old is not behind?

crawling, talking, walking, learning body part, being able to point to eyes after touching mine. I feel as if my son is behind. I knwo i should NEVER compare my son to others however i am and i guess it has gotten me down. Any suggestion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is not behind. He is a baby! No worries!!! My son was a late crawler and walker... And now - at almost 3 - he is just fine! I wouldn't worry. When you take him to his well-baby checks with the ped... he will ask you and tell you if they think he needs any intervention. But as of now - do NOT worry!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• He's seven months old, give him a break. Your son isn't behind because he isn't jumping over milestones at seven months. He is taking his time to learn these things and the best you can do is to encourage him. Let him pass the milestones on his time, because it is quite intimidating for a baby to crawl, walk, and sometimes for some talk. The only way you really know if your son is behind at seven months, is if he's still in the newborn stage at seven months. If he's sitting up assisted, unassisted, holding his own head up, playing with his toys, grabbing at them, etc. Then he's fine. Crawling, walking, talking can take another few months for some, while others do it as soon as humanly possible. Every child is different. Give your son some time, don't rush him, it's not a race.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I'm the same way with my DD, she's almost 8 months and not crawling, but her doctor is very happy with the way she's growing and the way she acts socially, so the fact that she's not much of a crawler isn't a big issue. I guess what I'm going for is that, yes, kids do develop at their own pace, and yes, we as moms will worry, but as long as there aren't any major development issues (I'm not a doctor so I don't know what a major issue is) then there's nothing wrong with them.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 12:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• You can join a Mommy Meet Up Group, find your local Mom's Club, or MOPS. You'll be able to see first hand how varied growth and development is. And then there's always your doctor, if your doctor isn't worried, you shouldn't worry so much either. You can ask your parents too how you were as a child, and your SO's parents how he developed. There is a genetic component as well.
    Pristine_Dream

Answer by Pristine_Dream at 12:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• if you have a 7 mthold who know his body parts you gave birth to a genious! k um my kids werent crawling til almost 9 mts. most kids dont walk till 12- 15 mts. some never crawl. let him be a baby. his 7 mts not 2 yrs old
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Crawling may never happen. Talking? Not for a LONG LONG time. Walking? If he's walking this early he's ridiculously ahead of the game.

RELAX. You're doing FINE.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Check out the info at Developmental Milestones: 7 Months

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2010