Can my doctor recommend me to lose weight if I am plus sized?

I weight 294 and I'm 5"10 so I'm pretty large anyway you look at it. I am 7 weeks pregnant and have my first doctors appt on Friday by then I will be 8 weeks along. Can my doctor ask me to get on a diet and recommend me to someone? I am looking into losing weight with this pregnancy not gain, but will that be unhealthy for my baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No, it's not unhealthy to lose weight. In fact, you would kind of be losing weight to not gain, considering the baby weighs several pounds by the end so there would be a shift of weight.

At that size, it would be important to add some lightweight exercise to your schedule whether you're pregnant or not. But remember to take it very slow at first. With a baby and (I'm assuming) being out of shape, it will be difficult to do anything intense. I'd recommend going on walks around your neighborhood several days a week!

Congrats on the little one and I hope you can be the healthiest you possible! : )
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 2:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• No it's not!! I mean, you shouldn't be losing tons of weight, but you should stay about the same weight during the pregnancy! When I got pregnant I was 5'4 weighing 240 and he told me to cut all sugars and sodas and fried food.. by doing that for my babys healthy, by the time I delivered I only weighed 210 with a 8 lb baby1
    Anonymous

• I'm 5'10 and was 185 when I was prego, I lost weight in the beginning, gained the baby weight, and breast fed... loosing weight, now I'm thinner than I was before I was prego.
    Anonymous

• Losing weight during pregnant is unhealthy, any way you look at it. However, he will most likely ask you to maintain a steady weight. Which means eating a strict diet and doing light excersise. After your pregnancy lose as much weight as you need to, but for the health of yourself and your baby just maintain.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:28 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I think a healthy eating plan for you would be beneficial for both you and baby. So not neccesarily dieting, but more like changing eating habits.

Walking, it doesn't burn many calories, but you being prego, you don't want to overdue any kind of activity.

Change of eating habits, and walking daily, will help you to loose small amounts, and probably won't hurt baby any.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I can tell you that it is highly recommended that you only gain 15 pounds during your pregnancy. But if you start making healthier choices (like the first poster said) and you lose weight, then that's not bad. Use your new baby as motivation for you to be healthy! And good luck!
    MrsSeptember

Answer by MrsSeptember at 12:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Dieting while preg is unhealthy, unless your diet consists of (healthy foods) you shouldnt leave out whole food groups or anything just trying to lose weight. A Lot of women lose weight during pregnancy! Mostly because they eat better for baby and start exercising a little more or maybe exercising at all. I wouldnt try to go all workout crazy or anything but it wont hurt the baby for you to avoid Mcdonalds or eat grilled chicken!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Jazz its a complete myth that its unhealthy to lose while pregnant. It depends on the size and health of hte mother. IF she was obese because she was eating sweets and high fat foods all the time, but then when she got pregnant she switched to healthy whole wheats, fruits, and veggies then naturally she will lose weight BUT be more healthy.
    Talk to your doctor and see what he/she recommends. Congratulations!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Just eat right... you really shouldn't try to loose anything NOW that your pregnant when you have your baby THEN loose the weight.
    Anonymous

• first, congrats! second YES YES YES!!!!! being overwieght has a HUGE impact on your health ... way more than people realize. by all means, start and exercise plan, a healthy diet, and maintain close communication with your MD. what a positive time to make a positive start :)
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 12:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2010