Do you think it's unethical to use the "free" address labels companies send with fundraiser letters if you don't give a donation?

Didn't know which category for this one....

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 12:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am the last anon on the first page...so today I go to the mailbox & what is in there? An envelope from the Veterans with name lables! And of course with they hyphenated name on them. AND a pad of cutesy note paper AND a nickel glued to the page! Yes, a nickel. Money. WHY on Earth are they sending out nickels to people? They are assuming you are mailing the nickel back to them, yes, but how many do? I surely didnt ask for someone to mail me name labels, a note pad AND a nickel. Just think how many nickels they lose!
    Anonymous

• No, But I think the company sends them out to guilt people into donating. Because there are people out there like you who wonder if it is unethical.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• well, it's not like they will be recycled... if you dont use them, they turn into trash. may as well put them to use.
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 12:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• No way. The other alternative is to throw them away, which is still wasting their money. Also the free labels usually have their name on them somewhere so its still publicity for them.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Nope, not if they send them to me unsolicited.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I use them haha.. Theyre sending you a free gift and accepting donations... Doesnt mean you HAVE to give one...
    Anonymous

• I used to feel that way, but I have one group that sends us multiple sets with multiple different names (my name only, husband's name only, both our first names, Mr. & Mrs.). I have even called and asked them to stop sending all of these. I don't send in a donation for everyone I get, but I do send a donation occaissionally when I have extra money. I use most of the labels even when i don't send anything. It is a marketing campaign and should not make people feel guilted into sending donations. Besides, no one else can use them and I did not ask them to print them for me.
    Anonymous

• nope. They send them. I'll use them.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• No I don't think it's unethical. I didn't request the address labels and the companies know that there will be people that don't send donations, so they know they're at a liability.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I do use them but feel guilty but I have so many now that sometimes I just throw them away...:(
    Anonymous