How does the school determine what reading level your child should be?

My dh is 6 yr.s old and in the 1st grade we have had 3 different progress report and she is barely moving right along only her level is still in the first time of the progress report she is at a 7/8 level and is supposed to be in the 12/14 level by now.

What else can I do with her I feel like we done everything!!!???

Thanks Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Most schools offer extra reading help, the programs are normally desgned for students who are not grasping reading. One thing to check is her eyesight, both of my boys have tracking issues which made it very hard for them to read and score at the proper level. What happens is their brain is fighting witht here eyes to contune moving to the left, the eye want to go back tot eh right so because they are so concentrated on eye movement they wont retain what they are reading and that brings down their scores if they cant read something then explain it. Once my boys got glasses and we did excercises we had no problems and now both are in advanced reading. Go see a eye doctor becuase the eye test given at school will not catch this, matter of fact school eye test administered by parents and staff typically miss 70% of eye problems.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Most reading test to determine levels are done with a volunteer sitting with the child and scoring as they read, it based on how many words they read per minute, i they can explain what they just read, and how ofte they have to stop to figure out a common word. There are sight words that you school should have been teaching all along. Post it's makes a stack of post its with sight words or you can make cue cards at home, these are words you cant pronounce such as "the". The words per minute is deceiving if a child is reading 2-3 words less than what the school thinks they should then they are considered not at level say the school says at first grade you should read 100 words per minute and your child reads 98 per minute, that will push tem below level which i thnk is a total crock lol. Ask alot of questions of her teacher, That is how I found out how thngs work but every school is different.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• At the school our boys attend they do a thing called Star reading tests, it's on the computer. It scores them and then we get a print out at the beginning, middle and end of the school year.

I read with our boys everyday... I let them read to me a lot, it's great practice.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Usually the school will bring in someone trained or at least a more centralized understanding of reading levels. The scores are based on speed, pronounciation and comprehension - possibly more but those three things I know are used in the testing. Most schools offer special ready programs for elementary aged children. You could look for reading programs in your community, some libraries have young readers groups, or you could look online for print outs with skill building pages designed to improve reading. My ex-husband temporarily had our 2 kids and he waited until two months after the year started to enroll her and then I got the kids back 2 months later and when I enrolled her in school here she was slightly behind in her reading level. They used the standard test as well as asking her to recite and recognize the letters of the alphabet. So she attended a 1 hr after school program for 6 weeks and she's good now.
    Anonymous