my baby has little tiny bumps all over her chest and belly...what could this be from?

My daughter is almost 5 months old and she has these very tiny little bumps all over her chest. You can barely see them, I only noticed because if you rub your hand over he chest you can feel them. There's a ton. The area with the bumps gets really red when I bathe her. Should I take her to the doc? Or is this normal? And what can I do for it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I can think of 2 things - either very dry skin and you should put some lotion on it regularly. Or one of several childhood viruses that cause a rash. These are usually NO big deal. Give it a week or two and see if it goes away - unless she ends up with a constant fever or other signs of being sick. My daughter has had a very bad, bumpy rash for a month now. It is just starting to go away. There are several childhood viruses that cause a rash - my kids have had several different ones. One is called fifths disease (named that because there are 6 childhood diseases that cause a rash and they do not know the name of this one, others are chicken pox, measles, etc).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• did you change baby soap? it sounds like contact dermatitis(allergic rash) try using dove body bar because it is soap free. it is a cleanser so it doesnt cause soap allergies, it could also be laundry detergent..... use dreft or a free and clear detergent....tide and all make free and clear,
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• It could be an allergic reaction like the pp said. Don't put lotion on it b/c that will only make it worse. The bumps are probably clogged pores and putting lotion will only clog them more.
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 12:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Sounds like what my DD has, her dr said it's Exema(sp??) I'm not good with spelling, but I found that a moisturizing baby wash helps my DD, we use something that smells like baby lotion, although the name escapes me, I'm pretty sure it's made by johnson and johnson.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 12:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Google Roseola.
    Anonymous

• Could be viral. Could be eczema (severely dry skin.) Could be an allergic reaction or sensitivity to a food or soap. DD has mild eczema. It would present as an infant just as you described. Now at 5 she'll have patches of rough skin that can feel somewhat bumpy and can get red. We keep aquaphor or Aveeno lotion on her. Both tend to do a great job at keeping it at bay. When you bathe her, keep the temperature of the water tepid - not too warm, not too cool. Dry her by patting her down, not rubbing. Apply a mild lotion to her skin after wards. It's not unusual for dry skin (whether or not it's eczema per se) to be an issue in the winter for infants and young kids. Also note any new foods she's exposed to (including what you eat if she's nursing.) See if there's a pattern between the bumps and the foods. Use mild soaps and laundry detergents if you can. See if there are other symptoms (and if yes, talk to the doctor)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Also wanted to add - a decent rule of thumb is in when in doubt, it's ok to call the Ped. Does your office have a nurse or other 'infant support' person in the practice? For example, our practice has a nurse dedicated to new mom's with lots of questions. We could always call her with any and all questions. In this case, I would call and describe to her just what you said here. She'd give her thoughts based on her experience and training. If she felt the call did not give her enough info, she'd schedule an appt with the doctor.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• My first thought is roseola. I'd take a 4-5 month old in to the Dr for an unexplained rash for sure.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2010