Criticized for a Birthday Theme?

My daughter will be turning 7 this spring and we have talked about what kind of party she would like. She did't get to have a party the last two years because she was hospitialized at the time. So I want to make this one special for her.
She loved Winnie The Pooh and wants her party theme to have Winnie the Pooh decorations and such, and we are going to rent a cotton candy machine, and give out little jars of honey for prizes.
Problem is I have had my sister and 2 other moms bash the idea saying that Winnie the Pooh is too babyish and my daughter is too old for it. Ok so I don't know now, but can you give me your opinions? She really wants that for her theme, and I figure the next year she will want Hannah Montana or something lol, so why not let her have what she really wants?
Thoughts?

WishyClarkson

Asked by WishyClarkson at 1:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Kids grow up so fast these days; I talk to so many other women with daughters my little ones ages and they too act like dolls, Winnie-the-pooh and other such things are babyish.

My daughters are 7, 8, and 9 and when I told them of your daughter’s party they were excited for her and thought it was a great idea. They would easily go to a Winnie the Pooh birthday party and love it, especially with jars of honey and a cotton candy machine (wow those are cute ideas!).

If you look at the main character, Christopher Robin, he is between the ages of 7-9 (right at your daughters age bracket). IMO I would ignore what others say and go with what your daughters wants, odds are your daughter’s friends are along the same mindset as she and I've met few 7 year old children that complain about birthday themes when they are being given things. Hope she has an amazing Tiggerific Party!
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Your sister and the 2 other women are wrong and rude. Its your daughter's b-day, not theirs. She should have whatever she likes, PERIOD.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Give your daughter what she wants for her b-day....she is YOUR daughter after all and not your sisters or your mothers. Your mom and sister can get over it....
    Anonymous

• Her party, her choice. And for the record, the honey jar idea is precious. Don't worry what other moms think, it's not a party for them, it's for your DD.......besides, "too old" is a relative term, I had a disney princess party when I turned 18, it was my party and it was fun :)
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 1:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• It's your daughter's party, it's her choice. If that's what she wants, I don't see the problem. Heck, I know a 13 yr old who loves Winnie the Pooh, and she would love to have a birthday party with that theme. Some people are just rude. They want their kids to grow up too fast.

Anonymous

• its her birthday and you should do what will make her happy regaurdless of what other moms think. you are her mom not them! that is always my answer when my daughter asks why so and so is allowed to do such and such "i am your mom and i make your rules i am not her mom and i dont make her rules." do what you think is right for your daughter not what other moms think is right for your daughter. besides have you watched hannah montana lately.....it getting alittle to racey, in my opinion, for a 7 year oldl.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• If that is the theme you daughter wants then do it. I am a grown up and I still love Winnie the Pooh!! It is your daughters birthday, she should have what she wants. My son has had a "transformer" party for the last 3 years!! ( same cake and everything - but that is what he chose! LOL.
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 1:25 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Tough one! I agree it is very baby-ish. But who cares?? It's her birthday! I definitely see your dilemma!!

How about taking her to a party store and showing her all the themes they have.. and saying- I know you want Pooh, but I just wanted to make sure you knew what was out there... And let her see the Barbie, and Hannah Montanah and all that.

Then if she stays adamant on Pooh I wouldn't say another word about it. I'd just do the Pooh thing.

There's always Classic Pooh! That could be viewed as a lil more mature...? see classic Pooh here: http://www.trendsinternational.com/mm5/graphics/bigImages/A36277.jpg
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 1:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• My daughter had a Pooh party for her 14th. No, she's not mentally handicapped... she happens to (still, she's 18) love the A.A. Milne, and still giggles at passages she knows by heart. In amongst researching street drugs on the internet and thinking Twilight is hopelessly twee and immature and attending college...

I suspect those moms and your sister are expressing their dismay with their own lives' pressure to appear more mature and sophisticated than they were ready for when they were young. A lot of kids get pushed out of a lot of what they enjoy because it's 'babyish' --as if being a baby was somehow terminally uncool and totally inappropriate, toxic shame.

These are the same women, I bet, who'll accuse of you of making her 'grow up too fast' in 3 years. Do not look to these critics for guidance OR consistency of message. They're out of touch with reality and reacting to their own pasts, not you or your child.

LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:28 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Where are their manners? Shame on them. Can they not see the importance of your dd being out of the hospital this year and who gives a hoot about the theme? Im genuinely mad at them for you.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:28 PM on Feb. 23, 2010