Victim rights Vs. Criminal rights?

Where do we draw the line when it comes to both peoples rights? If somoene assaults someone, what level of defense should they have. Rape what level, Stealing what level? Why do people who aren't trained in emergencies like police have to be held to the same standards? When a crimanal comes into our live we do not have a trained team surrounding the crimal with bullet proof vest etc... So it makes me wonder if it's even fair? Share your thoughts?

SylviaNCali

Asked by SylviaNCali at 1:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i dont really understand your question but i think that a victim should have more help than they do. rape for one. how many sex offenders get off with just having to take classes.....dont spend a day in jail? my childhood molester never stepped foot in jail. he had to take classes and i saw him around town all the time. thats not protecting a victim. what about when my mom was ripped off for thousands when she was trying to find a house... there are no programs to help her with houseing....now she lives with her mom because that was her only chance and the po;lice havnt even caught the woman who did this.
    Anonymous

• I don't think criminals should have many rights, when they did the crime they lost most of their rights.

Anonymous

• Sylvia, I'm also having trouble following your question. Are you referring to a parolee, or a person in the process of committing a crime, or one who is accused of having committed one?

Answer by gdiamante at 2:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I hope most people don't have the same problem. If it become a problem I will try to change it. But you did answer so that's great. I don't think it's fair that someone can rape and molest and not spend a lifetime behind bars. It's a type of crime you never want to take the chance that it happens again. I'm sorry you had to go through that. And also sorry to hear your mom got scammed. I bet that con artists your mom met knew enough tricks to realize she would likely get away from the crime. I guess victims have the hard task of outsmarting them.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 2:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• gdiamante I'm asking about one in the process and one who is accused. Also the victim who took part in defending against a threat. Hope that makes more sense.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 2:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I think the constitution spells it out fairly well for the criminal and the victim generally has many avenues to follow as well
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Dec. 15, 1992 @ 15 years old, I was raped and terrorized at knife point. The police rescued me,and he was arrested. He basically got away with it because I was to scared to be any where near him again. His right was to stare me down and glare at me in court. I did manage to make it into the court house and to the floor that the hearing was on before my heart beat out of my chest and I felt like I couldn't breath or think. That experience in itself was almost as bad as the rape. The DA had my arm and was trying to push/pull me toward the room.

He did the same thing to another 14-15 year old girl several years later. He is in the Alaska sex offender registry. His name is Willie Green if anyone's interested.

Anonymous

• Ummm in my book, criminals have only one right and that is to a trial of their peers. Even that is iffy sometimes.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I don't think criminals deserve any rights. You choose to break the law, you forfeit your right to rights, period. If you come into my home with the intent to harm or steal from me, you better be prepared to meet your maker. I'm not going to ask why you are there before you get a intimate knowledge of a .45 round in your rear.

hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 5:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I can tell you after living in the courts for 2.5 years waiting on the man that murdered my brother to go to trial, victims and their families have less rights than the accused.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2010