What are the things you would have done differently during your stay at the hospital to welcome your new baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would have aked for a different person to help me learn to breast feed- the nurse that I had litterally made me cry because she was forcing my son to be at the breast and he was screaming only hours old (found out later he really wasnt hungry and he would nurse better when he was hungry). I would have definitly packed popsicles and more hard candies. I would have spoke up earlier about noticing my son was jaundice so he would have gotten an iv early and we would not have been readmitted to the hospital and forced to supliment breast feeding with formula. I would have definitly spoke up when I got an infection in my c-section scar and they put my on an anti biotic that forced me to pump and dump and give my son formula for the first week of his life. They could have found something else to give me! Army hospitals are pushy- at least mine was- so just be pushy back
    szeimetz

Answer by szeimetz at 3:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• not have let him go to the nursery, roomed-in.

delayed eye goop.

perhaps declined hep vax, but still undecided on that one.
    Anonymous

• with dd i would have told the nurses to shove it everytime they kept trying to push formula.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• w/ my first i would of been more prepared and spoke up b/c i was so young i felt the doctors and nurses did not listen to me and my opinion ..... i was having a premature baby and a class come in to watch! if i had it to go over i would of spoke up!! Also i had a nurse get smart w/ me and say that's why kids should not have kids (b/c my baby was 6 wks early due to high blood pressure) i was 17 when i had her. i would of blew her out w/ the facts lol...... with my 2nd it was perfect i was treated wonderful and knew all that was going on.... only thing missing was my husband he was in Iraq :(((
    Armywife510

Answer by Armywife510 at 1:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Request to switch rooms.
    Anonymous

• packed food for my SO
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Armywife...

I do know what youre talking about~ with my second child I believe that I was more prepared with dealing with nurses and doctors.
    Anonymous

• dont let a medical student do your epidural! mine didnt take with my first and i totally felt the c section. had to be gassed to sleep! dont let the medical students do stuff to you!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Well, I would have told the doc and nurses, no to pitocin, no to breaking my water, no to IV, no to laying in bed. I would have made signs and been really mean about no artificial nipple/feedings etc for my son...

My whole labor from very first inkling to birth was only 7 hours. I didn't have time in labor to know if I truly needed pit or water breaking.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Not let the admitting nurse bully me and said yes to the epidural much sooner.

I also would have packed less stuff. I packed a bunch of crap to keep me busy during labor but I had back labor so bad I got the epidural early on. I slept until about an hour before pushing. I didn't use my suitcase until the day I went home.
    MJmom892

Answer by MJmom892 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2010