epidural confusion!!!!!!! HELP !!!!

I am so confused on what to do , with my first child i had a very easy and quick labor and delivery !! (45 min) total i had no pain meds at all. Then 6 yrs later was having my second child i wanted to go natural again but ended up in labor for 19 hrs i ended up getting a epidural at 7 cm , the pain was gone it was the best feeling at the time, but i had my baby at 12 pm and could not feel my legs until 8 pm , i am now 4 months along with my 3rd baby and want to do it natural but am scared history will repeat it self it took so long to get the epidural because i told the dr i was going natural , so they werent ready for me! so should i just tell theme i want it right away , or wait it out and hope for a easy delivery like the first one!!!!!!

zy616

Asked by zy616 at 1:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• just tell then you would like to do it natural but if it gets too stressful and tiring like your 2nd then you may want the epidural so be prepared lol
    Armywife510

Answer by Armywife510 at 1:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• just this time prepare for a labor that might be longer. being prepared, you won't be so caught off guard and feel like you need the drugs.

i suggest reading "ina may's guide" or "birthing from within"

gl!!!
    Anonymous

• everyone reacts different to the epi. with dd mine failed. with ds it worked but one i hit 9 cm it wore off. but 30 mts after birth i was feeling my legs
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• i couldn't feel my legs for several hours after my first either, but when i had my second, i was walking around about an hour later. you may react differently to the epi the second time around. if you want to go natural, tell you doctor, but also tell them to prepare an epi for you just in case your labor lasts longer than X-hours. or tell them you want a walking-epidural. It takes the edge off your labor pain (but i think you'll still feel your contractions, just not as strong), and you'll be able to help your labor progress by walking around. so you won't lose function of your legs. good luck & congratulations!
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 1:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I was the same way. I wanted natural but was in labor for 27 hours so I ended up getting the epidural. If I have more kids, I plan on attempting natural birth again but won't totally rule out the epidural if it gets stressful like the last.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I personally am not going to have an epidural the second time around. It took them over an hour to get it in and it was excruciating. They kept hitting nerves that made me pee all over myself and twitch. And then, it didn't work all that great during the two plus hours of pushing.
    psychmama

Answer by psychmama at 2:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Read up on what epidurals do insofar as interfering with labor, affecting the baby ... the risks of lasting effects on your body, etc.
    Here's a list of articles about epidurals in Midwifery Magazine:
    http://www.midwiferytoday.com/search/default.asp?query=epidural

Since you already had a natural labor, you know what is possible ... if it were me, I would examine what was different with my second labor ( the last weeks of the pregnancy, the surroundings during labor, my life-stresses at the time ... ) to see what went wrong.
    Here is a link to a fantastic explanation of how the birthing hormones are affected by the people & surroundings during labor:
    Ecstatic Birth: Nature's Hormonal Blueprint for Labor
    http://www.sarahjbuckley.com/articles/ecstatic-birth.htm

Best wishes to you !!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:11 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• consider NOT laboring in the hospital (I am not suggesting home birth just LABORING at home). You will be in your comfort zone, and not as stressed. The hospital is never a good or wise place to labor, unless you are in dire need of constant care.

I labored for 36 hours with my first child (when I was 16) at home, and went to the hospital when I was ready to birth her. Did the same with my 2nd child, with whom I labored for 42 hours. The 3rd child- He was a water baby, born @ a local birth center. I labored for almost 8 days with him, only to have a rather effortless birth, to a happy, pink, squishy little baby. I did not use drugs with any of them.

Long labors are not an issue if you educate yourself, and are prepared.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• You can tell your doc you're undecided, and then he can have an order written in case you do want it.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I had a natural with my 1st and it was great, with my second I had back labor and the epidural did NOTHING. So I figure that this time around, why bother with the risks of the needle in the spine and everything. I'll just deal with it.
    southernstyle88

Answer by southernstyle88 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2010