Guilt trips.

My 16 DS has recently moved back to his dads because he does not want to got to regular school. He refused to get up in the morning and I took his cell phone away. That pissed him off and he talked his dad into allowing him to homeschool which I am totally against. Now he tells me that I dont care and is laying a big guilt trip on me. I told him that he chooses to not see that I care. That we all make choices in our lives that we have to live with. UGH I feel terrible.

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 2:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• When he says you don't care, just tell him it's sad that he feels that way. He knows you care and you don't need to argue with him about it. He knows that is a hurtful thing to say to you, and when he's older he will likely regret having said it. Hopefully he will see the light sooner rather than later.
    Anonymous

• Does he not realize that homeschool is not a way out of school? There are still standards and tests etc. Just bide your time because the "other shoe will drop" soon.
    Anonymous

• Tough love is just that tough. Stay strong in your convictions. You won't do him any favors by letting him get away with murder. Typical child of divorce...thinks he can play you and your ex against the middle. Put your foot down and leave it down. He is old enough to face the consequences of his decissions.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:49 AM on Feb. 26, 2010

• He will soon realize that what you did WAS for his own good down the road. Just like salexander said...hes playing both you and your ex against each other...Kids are smart, LOL But stick to your decisions and dont back down even though you feel like it, keep strong. :)
    Kathy7_20

Answer by Kathy7_20 at 12:48 AM on Apr. 19, 2010