Are baby showers like PA or charity?

People say baby showers are about celebrating babies, but I think most people have them just to get free stuff. Isn't asking your friends and family to provide your child with the essentials the same as asking for it from the government or charitable organization?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• LOL.Yeah...okayyyyy.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• No it's not like PA LOL Sorry I had to laugh at that. I however don't believe it is all about gifts either. I think you are very greedy and selfish if you expect them to bring you big gifts or really anything. I truely believe that it is about celebrating the baby and your pregnancy.
    With my daughter my baby shower I had I got a couple bottles and diapers and wipes. I was thrilled and just happy with that. I had more fun being around my friends who I didn't get to see often due to the fact that I was on bedrest.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• No it is not the same. Do you think wedding gifts are the same as PA? Bridal showers? Birthday gifts? christmas gifts? Anniversary gifts?

It is a celebration and a way for family and friends to help, besides it isnt one sided eventually someone who came to that shower is going to get married, have a baby, or have a birthday.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Then you could ask the same thing about birthday's, weddings, wedding showers, and Anniversary party's.

No it is not. It is yes family and friends celebrating your baby's birth. Yes they bring gifts but it is nothing like PA or charitable organizations. It is a one time thing that people do. They are not doing it every month or when you need help.
    Anonymous

• No, it is Celebrating the Birth of a new baby. Most friends and family want to give the new baby something. Think of it as a Pre Birthday party for your baby. When someone has a Birthday party are the birthday gifts considered charity or at a Wedding are the Gifts Charity too? Relax and enjoy your baby, your family and friends are happy and want to give the baby a gift!! Congratulations!
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 2:25 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• a baby shower is a celebration of a child entering the world and everyones gifts are to "shower" the baby with love
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 2:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• SOME people treat it like PA - they see it as a right, and they expect others to buy them everything because they are having a baby. Seriously, if you are adult enough to have a baby, then you are adult enough to buy your own stuff. IF someone WANTS to throw a shower for you, that is great, but it should not be seen as THE WAY you get the stuff you need for your baby...AND, if someone does throw you a shower you better not complain about all the stuff your didn't get or all the stuff you got that you didn't register for. People are allowed to pick out the gifts they want to buy for you, and they do not have to look at your registery if they don't want to.
    Anonymous

• "SOME people treat it like PA - they see it as a right, and they expect others to buy them everything because they are having a baby. Seriously, if you are adult enough to have a baby, then you are adult enough to buy your own stuff. IF someone WANTS to throw a shower for you, that is great, but it should not be seen as THE WAY you get the stuff you need for your baby...AND, if someone does throw you a shower you better not complain about all the stuff your didn't get or all the stuff you got that you didn't register for. People are allowed to pick out the gifts they want to buy for you, and they do not have to look at your registery if they don't want to."

Yes!  People pretend that they're celebrating the arrival a new baby when in reality they're just trying to get the items they need. Great answer!

Anonymous

• Do you think wedding gifts are the same as PA? Bridal showers? Birthday gifts? christmas gifts? Anniversary gifts?

Only if you set up a registry asking for specific gifts.

Anonymous

• I think it's rude to throw yourself one or have one for every child. However, if you have a friend throw you one for the first one then it's okay.
    Anonymous