Recipies for fish dishes, but there's a catch...

I don't like fish that tastes...well....fishy. Lol. And I also have young kids too, can anyone give me some good, healthy ideas? Looks and texture are important issues, I know some stuff looks gross, but is yummy, but that won't fly in this house. It has to look appetizing, and not be all scaly and slimy. Thanks ladies! We are trying to switch over to the Medditerranean Diet way of eating, which calls for a lot of fish, but we don't really eat fish...yet.

EvaSerenity

Asked by EvaSerenity at 2:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• We do not eat beef, pork, or poultry, so we make fish a lot here. I love salmon, but many people don't. We use tilapia a lot, and it is very mild and not fishy tasting. There are so many ways you can make it. Breading it with panko crumbs and whatever seasonings you like is delicious. You can bake or fry it. I actually make fish tacos a lot. Breaded fish served on corn tortillas with cabbage, onions, fresh cilantro, and cheese is delicious.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• That sounds like my house. I agree with the Tilapia comment. I put spicy brown/dijon mustar on it and pan sear it crispy. My son will eat it. Same with salmon..enough spices and pan searing it crispy. We both don't love it, but, will it it just fine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Thank you ladies! There are some really good sounding ones on that site. :) And I forgot all about tilapia, I do like that kind!
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 2:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• www.all-fish-seafood-recipes.com This is a awesome website they have a little of everything on it. Another couple fish varieties you may want to try that isn't fishy is Cod,Trout,and Flounder(yum),Catfish too. Also you can ask the people behind the counter for suggestions also if you got to the Fish Market.BTW pretty much any white fish filets are NOT fishy at all they are all pretty "safe" :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 4:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Another non-fishy fish is orange roughy. Very mild taste with a decent sized fillet, usually.
    hepmommy

Answer by hepmommy at 4:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I am the same way! I like Flounder, Alaskan White Fish, Cod (a touch stronger than the others but still good, to me)
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Garlic BBQ salmon is awesome! It's the only way I can get my kids to eat salmon. Cook the salmon (you can either bake it with cooking spray or sautee it in a covered pan in olive oil) and mix 1 c bbq sauce with 1/4 minced garlic from a jar (I add 1 T brown sugar and 1 T chili powder because I like mine sweet and spicy). Baste the fish and cook another 5 minutes or so.
    It's even better on the grill - we pre-cook the fish in the oven first and then just baste with the sauce when we put it on the grill. Usually we also pre-cook some chicken fillets and grill along with the fish with the same sauce so everyone gets a choice.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:36 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Or you could add dry ranch seasoning when you bake the fish - my kids would eat dog poop if there was ranch seasoning on it. :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:37 AM on Feb. 24, 2010