At what age should I switch my dd from a crib to a transitional toddler bed?

Just wondering when you all switched your children from the crib, because I am considering it for my 20 month old dd.

brookes_mom04

Asked by brookes_mom04 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My first was 22 months because she was trying to climb out of the crib. So we decided to before she could and got hurt. We just got a twin mattress and box spring and put them on the floor. So she did not have far to fall. We really felt it was pointless to by a toddler bed and then anther bed in a year or two. With our second she was close to two yrs when we did the same things.
    Anonymous

• Every Child is different, my Older son ( he is 6 1/2 now) switched at 2 years old, my ,little one now is 2 1/2 and I think he is doing fine in the crib and I am not anxious about moving him yet. He has not even climbed out LOL I am afraid he would not wake us up and get into things LOL. When she is ready you'll know.
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 2:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• my son is now 15 months, we swapped the beds last month and it took a little while to get used to. I wouldn't have it any other way now. He LOVES his big boy bed. Good luck!!!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 2:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• DD is 15 months, and I just took the front of her crib off today. I wanted to test it first at naptime without rails or any type of boundary...- She stayed in bed for about an hour, then got up and started beating on her door. LOL. So I'm not sure how its going to work out... I'm a little worried that she'll be up all night playing, and not even fall asleep in her bed...
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 2:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• My daughter was 13 months old when she started climbing out of her crib so about 14 months is when we figured she was old enough for a big girl bed. So we went and got her one and she sleeps soundly every night, its really whenever you feel the time is right.
    MetalMomma10

Answer by MetalMomma10 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• My son was 18 months my DD is a little over 2 and just now in hers. BUT some nights we haev to turn it to the wall to 'make' it a crib because she is bad :0) We are considering Turing it back into a crib for another 6 months or so. I just depends ont he chld
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I would wait until she can get out of her crib alone. We switched my ds at 2 1/2, I say don't rush it, they are only little for a short time. Once she can get out then I would start thinking about it.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 3:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Unless you think she's going to climb out of the crib, don't rush it. We had to move our son at 22 months because he got out. It was a tough concept for him to understand and took a while.. Also, we skipped right to a regular bed (with only the regular mattress to keep it closer to the ground). Kids outgrow toddler beds fairly quickly and it gives you another transition to deal with. If your child deals with change well, it won't be an issue. However, if she doesn't, it's one less headache.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I also say don't rush it. I was going to wait as long as possible and then one day, out of the blue, my son asked to take a nap on the floor instead of his crib. Thinking if I said ok, he would get right up and move around, I would just go put him back in bed, but he stayed right where he was. (I did put him in the bed before falling asleep) Anyways, that was his way of saying he was ready. He was almost 27 months at that point. We converted his crib to a toddler bed that night and he never cried, whined, had a sleepless night OR gotten out of bed when he wasnt supposed to. If you wait for their cues, the transition will be much easier...as it is with other "milestones" when growing up!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I would wait as long as you could. My son turned 3 in Dec. and never climbed out of the crib. We just made the transition a few weeks ago. We went right to a twin bed and so far it has been pretty easy (fingers crossed). He's older so he understands the guidelines that we have in place with the big boy bed (like he isn't allowed to get out unless DH or I come and get him). I think the longer you can wait the better!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 6:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2010