Am I the only one that has panic attacks while driving on the interstate or in big cities?

I'm from a small town and that's where I have drove my whole life. I am petrified to drive around in cities and on the interstate. I almost get into an accident every time I have tried and shake the rest of the day. I feel like I'm crazy! And hubby thinks I act like I'm 16 and its my first time driving. Tell me I'm not alone please.....

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 2:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You are certainly not alone! I'm the same way. We all have something we're not comfortable with, and ours is driving on the highway.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 2:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I won't drive on interstates so I dunno! I do panic when I am driving on a new road or anything bigger than a back road. i HATE driving. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I grew up in the san fernando valley, and my anxiety STILL shoots thru the roof any time I have to drive into a major city.
    hisemma

Answer by hisemma at 2:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• No, I'm the same way. I used to love driving on the interstate, but I can't do it anymore, and I can't drive in a big city with a lot of traffic. I don't like driving too much anyway, people are just too idiotic!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• oh no hun you are definitely not the only one I have panic attacks driving anywhere you never know what someone else is going to do!!
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• The best advice my Dad gave me was to always be cautious, and keep your distance. I have to admit I love to drive, it helps me think and I love to sing a long to the stereo or listen to the comedy stations on my XM. Maybe try making it a more comfortable experience with your favorite music or a good talk radio station.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Oh gosh. I have insane panic attacks from driving in general. You are definitely not alone. I have a BIG problem too...when I get scared or panicky on the road...I slam on my breaks! I almost got myself killed trying to drive from Cinci to Cleveland last November.
    nessani28

Answer by nessani28 at 3:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• If it's been a while since I have been on the highway, then I get antsy. I get real nervous when we drive down to Indiana because there are so many 18 wheelers on the road between the IL border and a little past Gary.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I did when I was very young but after many years of having to drive in big cities and on German Autobahns, I got over the panic. Sometimes you have no choice.I had nobody to bail me out and take over for me if I was scared and having palpitations,etc. You can do it!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I am from a city. I get the creeps being in suburbs or out in the country...

Answer by rkoloms at 3:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2010