I'm having trouble getting my 16 month old use to a sippy cup. Any suggestions??

I've tried numberous different kinds of sippy cups, does this take long. I think he should be off the bottle by now...

sheryl79

Asked by sheryl79 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get a Nuby and hide the bottle. The nuby cup has a nipple like a bottle. Oh and got the ones with no sides that might be hard for him to handle. it was for my son so we did the one w/o and wham-o off the bottle.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• He should be physically capable at this point, so I suspect he is just boycotting the sippy because he doesn't want to lose the bottle. I think you'd be safe to just get rid of the bottles and give him sippies instead. He's actually old enough to use a regular cup, so you might try that too.
    Anonymous

• It took my son a while to get the hang of the sippy cup too. However, I'd suggest you pick one type and just stick with it until he figures it out. We used ones that had soft straws (including the Nuby one mentioned by the other poster). Our pediatrician recommended either the straw or ones with a soft spout to help build the muscles needed for speech (for what it's worth). Getting him off the bottle is slightly less of an issue if he doesn't have one right before going to bed (i.e. you brush his teeth after he has it). In parallel, try a regular cup. If he figures that out first, so be it. Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2010