Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Landlord not responding to phone calls and my bathtub is just lukewarm then turns to cold water. Who else can I call the health dept.??

She is not responding to my phone calls and lives 2 hours away. My bathtub is hot the lukewarm then cold. Is there anyone I can call to report her? I have a 3 year old and it's the middle of winter.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (8)
  • Housing Department in your Area.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • yeah I think you need a new hot water heater or a repair call someone gl

    Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • health department cant do anything about hotwater. are you in an apartment? if so then call the maintenance worker. also you can call the water company yourself maybe they are having issues.


    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • Call your landlord again. Leave a message tell her you are calling someone to put in a hot water heater and will be taking the money out of the rent.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • Write your landlord a letter and keep a copy. Tell her if she doesn't respond in 10 days (you have to leave time for delivery) that you will be calling a plumber and deducting it from the rent. Make sure you mention you have phoned her several times. Write the words Return Service Requested on the envelope write under your return address and copy that also. That way if you end up in a dispute over fixing the problem you have something on your side.

    Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 3:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • Legally you cant withhold money from rent for that but the threat might get her to return your call, if your renting call the housing authorities, no hot water is a level 1 or 2 emergency..something like that. I had a maintenance man at my house within the hour when i had NO hot water! He had to replace something on the water heater and i cant even think of the name of the part now! You definitely have a case if you have been trying to contact her for awhile, tell them you will hire someone else and have the bill forwarded directly to them (if you can get someone to come out and do it without being handed cash)....GL

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • Call a plumber.....why would you try to report her? Life is life, she could be on vacation, her phone could be broken, she could be sick and on Nyquil. A busted hot water heater or frozen pipes is the responciblity of the landlord to take care of, but it's not like she forsaw the problem and is deliberately avoiding, like I said call a few plumbers get a few estimates and then when you do get in touch with the landlord you can give her hte lowest estimate to get it fixed and either ask her to correct the problem or to let you get it repaired and deduct the cost from your rent.

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • Call codes enforcement. If you withhold rent she can evict you

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.