Is there anyone here that has different size Chihuahuas?

Okay. We all know there is no such thing as a Tea Cup Chihuahua, but they do come in many sizes. The AKC say Chis are not over 6 lbs. Well I have some really small Chis and I have some that are over 6 lbs. I have seen the smallest in the litter, grow up to be the largest, and the largest in the litter end up being the smallest. I have never seen two litters alike (even if they have they same parents) andI have never seen two puppies in a litter that are alike in size or color. I have applehead puppies that are larger than their parents. The larger Chis have the best temperament, health,social personalities, and are so loving. But most people want the smallest one they can find. I would like to hear about some of the group's experiences with their Chihuahuas. Thanks

YourMomma5960

Asked by YourMomma5960 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Pets

• I didn't know anything about chihuahua's when I got one for my kids (at the time 2 and 4) and he was 12 weeks old at the time. Anyway, he grew to be about 4 lbs at the most, which like I said I didn't know there was a difference. But he was (he past away) the GREATEST dog we have ever had. He was so sweet, never barked, never snapped, and with my kids, they would carry him around, drop him, and so on and so forth (we tried to explain that they needed to be gentle) but he loved it and would let them do anything they wanted, including dress up! I wish I could find them another one, but everyone I find wants 2-3 hundred or more for them, and I just can't afford that. We LOVED our Chihuahua! The GREATEST ever!
    southernstyle88

Answer by southernstyle88 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I found a site for teacups chihuahuas .... ? lol

I have one and he is going on 9 lbs ... but he eats alot lol
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 4:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• You are very lucky if you can find a Chihuahua for $200 or $300. The smaller they are the higher the price. I have seen them sell for $2800....and I can almost garantee the ones I saw came from a dog farm or pet mill. You should google Chihuahua Rescue and find the closest one to you. Sometimes the rescues get pregnant dogs and need to find homes for the puppies. If they don't have any puppies, you can get your name put on a list.

YourMomma5960

Answer by YourMomma5960 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• glamomomo...that is exactly what I am talking about. Some have long legs...called Reindeer Chihuahuas...they are skinny and tall.
    YourMomma5960

Answer by YourMomma5960 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• my mil has 3 different ones but they all are simliar in size although one has an applehead and the other two don't. my sil has the teacup and she is cute. my other mil has chis as well and they are teacups as well. with apple heads. the only one that seems to be 6 pounds or over is lucky my mils male. i saw one on animal planet prebred that was 20 pounds that they put on a diet
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I have two six month old Chihuahuas. They are both full bred Chi's but they are HUGE!!! Chase and Chole are 10lbs each!! I did not know they would get that big, but I have to admit I love it! The are sweet and full of energy. I wanted small dogs because I already had two other dogs when I got them. My daughter wanted a Chi and my son just wanted his own dog. I saw the two of them and it was love at first sight. They are not barkers but they will bark when someone comes to the door. They are smart and learn quickly. I am suprised at how stubborn they are and how daring they can be. When Chloe was only 3 mos she used the dining room chairs to launch herself on the table. I tell everyone she has "springers" in her butt! lol My daughter loves to buy her outfits and dress her up and my son and Chase love to play fetch and Chase is cool sitting and watching my son play video games. My other dogs are adults and prefer hubby and me.
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 12:04 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• FYI my other dogs are; Sasha a four year old HHL Chinese Crested and Myst a three year old Whippet.
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 12:06 AM on Feb. 25, 2010

• i have four and they are all around 10lbs and they are so smart my 2 year old dog train him self the go out side the first night i got him was the first time he was outside and he went out with my hubby when he smoke and i thought we would have to potty train him and i was ready to and i thought he was trying to play that same night when we were trying to sleep and no he was trying to get me to take him out and so he peed on me and thats when my hubby and i look and said hes a smart dog dont have any problem with any of are dogs all are very smart
    Anonymous

• Thank you ladies for replies. Nearly everyone I have ever spoke to says their Chi is "about 4 lb". When they send pictures or come by to show me their Chis...the little ones are much bigger than their people think. More like 6 or 7 lbs. I have Chis that range form 3 lb to 9 lb. I have appleheads, deerheads, long legs, short legs. I have seen appleheads and deerheads in the same litter. AKC says Chis are 6 lbs max. But I have seen Chis that look like little small version of a min pin. I think people really think their Chis weighs less than they really do. So thanks for helping to confirm that not all Chis weigh 4 lbs. lol. The large Chis are usually real sweethearts with great personalities.

YourMomma5960

Answer by YourMomma5960 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 14, 2010