crying it out

My son is 9 mos old and will not go to sleep on his own or in his bed and he wakes up ALOT at night and i have to rock him back to sleep. I might be going back to work soon and I want nap time at daycare to be easy for him so I was wondering what are your experiences on letting your baby cry it out and how long did it take before they finally would go to sleep on their own?:)

kimmie123

Asked by kimmie123 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you tried a lovey?( a toy or stuffed animal to comfort him)? in my opinion..CIO, is well...i wouldnt do it. he's still a baby. but try getting him attachted to a certain blanket or toy and this might help.
    Anonymous

• the sooner you let your child do something such as sleeping on his own the better he will respond....crying it out will hurt you more than him but he will sleep soon enough just make sure he isnt hungry or hurting in any way then kiss him and tell him you love him and walk away dont come back until he is quiet then peek to see if he is sleeping but if you appear again to him before he is done it will make him try again...dont worry you are doing great gl;
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Maybe he is going through a growth spurt and is hungry. Try co-sleeping; you can doze while baby snacks...

Answer by rkoloms at 3:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• It varies baby to baby. CIO failed miserably here. And we tried it for two weeks, so it's not like it wasn't given a shot.

BUT...my "never napping" toddler DID nap at child care with absolutely NO need for "special" treatment. He was just told he had to stay there and be quiet, and often as not he'd zonk out.

I think worrying about infant sleep causes more problems than just following what each individual infant needs for it.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:16 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I always think crying it out is horrible but its not that bad. I let both of my girls cio at about 8 months as needed and it worked out great. We did it for only a couple of days with both and they are fine. Every once in awhile my littlest will still cry a little but not very much. I also think every baby responds differently, so it may not be for your baby. I also think that at a certain point babies know what they are doing and you have to put your foot down. But dont feel bad about rocking your baby. Good Luck
    lillysmama2008

Answer by lillysmama2008 at 4:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2010