hot dogs

do you think they should change the shape of the hot dog? so it is no longer a choking hazard.

sami07

Asked by sami07 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• No because it is not the shape that chokes them. It is the skin part on the outside that they choke on.
    Anonymous

• No. I think that's silly. I think the hot dogs should be cut up for small kids and older kids need to be told to chew their food properly.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 3:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• How about changing the content so they are not longer a health hazard?

Answer by rkoloms at 3:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• No, I think they should just quit making them because they are so bad for you and are contributing to high cholesteroal, heart disease, cirrhosis of the liver and many other health issues. And no matter how "healthy" the manufacturers try to disguise them to be, they are not ever going to be good for you.
    Anonymous

• Yes. And I think they should also change the shape of grapes, blueberries, bananas, peanuts, and any other food that could possibly choke a child. Scientists have the ability to genetically alter these things. They should get crackin' on it.
    tommy_mommy

Answer by tommy_mommy at 3:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• The shape of the hotdog isn't the choking hazard.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:16 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• "If you were to take the best engineers in the world and try to design the perfect plug for a child's airway, it would be a hot dog," says statement author Gary Smith, director of the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. "I'm a pediatric emergency doctor, and to try to get them out once they're wedged in, it's almost impossible."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-02-22-1Achoke22_ST_N.htm

Sounds like the shape to me! The skin? Wow. I guess they do need warning labels.

No, they should not redesign the hot dog. Parents just need to be a little more diligent in what and how they feed their children.
    Anonymous