Does anyone have a young child with epilepsy?

My 5 year old daughter is being tested next week for epilepsy. She has an EEG scheduled for 3/1 and an MRI on 3/10. The suspicion of epilepsy came when her paternal grandfather was diagnosed with a localized form of it and when he told his doctor that he had a granddaughter who also has hand spasms and other little "quirks" his doctor explained it could be caused by epilepsy since he had it and my ex-husband also has the same symptoms but my ex has had these most of his life and haven't really affected him so I don't know why I'm so worried. There's a chance that there may be nothing wrong with my daughter. I'm just anxious. I don't know any children with epilepsy, though an old boyfriend has it - he was diagnosed at 19 years old and none of his kids have it. I guess I'm worried about it becoming worse.

momof2inCT2007

Asked by momof2inCT2007 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My daughter was diagnosed with Rolandic Epilepsy June of last year. She will only have seizures at night and not that often. There is groups for parents that have Epilepsy if you would like to check them out.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 3:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• My daughter is 10 months and has epilepsy. She has only had 2 seizures, two days in a row, at 7 months. She was hospitalized for 4 days for observation and then put on medication. She takes the meds everyday and is perfectly healthy and happy =) Looking at her you would never know she has it. Hubby has it too but it is latent and hasn't affected him since he was 12. Good luck! Your daughter will be fine!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 4:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2010