Herpes & a C-section?

Do I have the option to request a c-section because I have genital herpes even if im not having an outbreak? Does it vary....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I elected to have a c/s because of hsv. I was on Valtrex for the duration of my pregnancy, was not having an outbreak at the time of delivery, and still chose to have a c/s. I guess it just depends on your doctor.
    Anonymous

• I believe the risk of you passing it to your baby is low, however, speak with your doctor about possible c-section.. but they should place you on an anti-viral before you give birth
    CinnaMinnie

Answer by CinnaMinnie at 3:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• You need to ask your doctor's advice,,,,,I think it is low, but could you ever forgive yourself,, if something happened? I don't have genital herpes, but dear son now has simplex 1--the oral kind in his eye, he transferred it from a cold sore into his eye, and it has been a nightmare! He has outbreaks in his eye now just like you get on your mouth, it so far has been controlled with medicine, but for the rest of his life he will suffer with the possiblity of going blind or worse it spreading in to the retina and entering his brain! I know this is the reason the suggest C-sections for women with genital herpes. I am so sorry that you are faced with the tough decisions, but your doctor will give you the best advice! Hugs and good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• the risk is very low to pass on genital herpes to your baby if you have not had an outbreak...one of my best friends has hsv and has had 2 children vaginally with no problems...her OB has her take meds for it once a day to supress it the last month of her pregnancies. I woud suggest talking with your OB to get the appropriate treatment you need to supress the virus.
    Anonymous

• It is up to the dr. Some doctors will let you do a c-section without an outbreak and some won't. Find a doctor that you're comfortable with.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2010