Is she artistic for her age?

My little girl is 2 1/2, she can color in lines & draw people & animals ( circle body with eyes, nose, mouth, hair, legs, feet, arms hands, fingers & clothes). Is this normal for her age or is she just really artistic? Her father & I are really good at drawing so I didn't know if it was normal or she is getting our 'talent'. either way I'm super proud of her!

MyKyRa07

Asked by MyKyRa07 at 3:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yeah she is artistic!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• hahaha thats funny, only because my 5 yr old still cant draw stuff!! anything she draws, whether its a person or an animal..they all look the same...a circle for the head, and a circle for the body..with 2 eyes a nose and smiley face..she can colour perfectly fine, but drawing nope!!! i would say your daughters artistic!!! and continue encouraging her to draw!! i cant draw worth crap!!! lol but i think its something ive always wished i could do!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• my daughter is 3 1/2 and is just now learning how to do that....and her pedi. said that was good for her age ..so it is really good for yours lol
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 4:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• It sounds like she is artistic for sure :) DS is 2 & just draws scribbles (well, actually today he drew a "Q" and said, "Q!"). But otherwise, he's not into drawing things yet. I think it does have a lot to do with genes too though. DS also plays drums (as does his dad)...he can keep a beat better than I can...so its in the blood!
    MamaBloom777

Answer by MamaBloom777 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• my son is almost 2-1/2 and can't sit still long enough to scribble let alone cirlce or draw so I'd say yes!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• My 2 1/2 yo only draws circles nad scribbles. She prefers coloring on the table to coloring on paper, so i'd say you are ahead. If it is something you and your husband do well, enjoy doing, and do with her, it makes sense that she would excel at it.
    Anonymous

• My now 6 yr old is very artistic. She would draw things like that too, now she's winning awards at school and stuff. Totally encourage it! That's awesome!
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 6:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• She sounds talented :) Keep her supplied with lots of art stuff! I think it's very unusual for kids to draw more than stick figures at that age.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I'd say she's advanced for her age. My son is 3.5 and just started drawing people in the last couple of months. He doesn't colour in the lines yet, although he doesn't colour very often in general.

I can't draw animals, lol! I can colour in the lines though.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• My almost 3 year old (3 weeks from now) can color somewhat in the lines and her preschool raves about it. So, I'm going to go with YES, that is awesome! Or, the standard is low at her preschool. :)
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 10:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2010