I still breastfeed my 16mo old baby to go to bed how can i stop that?

i put her in the habit of falling asleep while nursing and now im getting sore and want to stop...but she wont even drink from a bottle or sippy anymore.

i also want her to get to bed by herself but she screams so high pitched and turns beet red. not sure what i should do. please help

onehappymommy08

Asked by onehappymommy08 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she's not a baby...in fact at that age a lot of toddlers are speaking in complete sentences...not to mention walking which they start at 9 months...you should have stopped months ago...give her some real food and put her to bed
    Anonymous

• OMG WOW!!! what a answer..... NO... NOT all toddlers are talking in complete sentences and NO not all toddlers are walking at 9 mons old... ( DD started at 6 1/2 mons, DS, at 10 mons and DD, at 11 mons.) I JUST stopped nursing myself.. my toddler is 19 mons old.. ANYWAY...

Happy Momma.. what DH and I do is give our DD a bottle.. YES!!! I said bottle... She JUST got off the boob and IM not going to take BOTH away at once. She gets a night time bottle ONLY... OR you can try a sippy cup with warm milk. My problem is getting her to take a nap with out the boob!!!! I was loking on here to see if anyone had advice to help US breastFeeding moms....
    DONT worry about what that lady said above me.. IM NOT afraid to leave you my name so you can contact me about this.. HAGD!!!
    Bama
    bamamaof5

Answer by bamamaof5 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Ignore the previous poster and GOOD JOB nursing this long!!!!! If you want to do it slowly and easily, just nurse her almost to sleep. Once she is used to that, nurse her shortly before bed time. Read a book or rock her and then put her to bed. Move your nursing time back until she is no longer interested and is going to sleep without it. My daughter nurses very little if I nurse right after dinner and she still goes down to bed ok. She is 17 months and I am still nursing her throughout the day and even at night when she is sick.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• previous poster's response clearly isn't of any value to you and, for the most part, wrong.... Don'[t know why she bothered.. I didn't breastfeed so I can't help with that part but on getting her to sleep, you might want to look at Elizabeth Pantley's web site and/or her book "The No Cry Sleep Solution" (there's a version for babies as well as one for toddlers/preschoolers). I've found them to be very useful.

Since they recommend getting rid of bottles around 1 yr, keep working on the sippy cup. Offer it regularly. You might also try offering a regular cup with help. She might find that more interesting. Small plastic cups with a slightly textured surface are easy for little ones to handle. Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Oops! We posted at the same time. Ignore the anon!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Thanks for the good laugh anon!!!!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Crazy poster! What worked well for us was to have my DH start putting my son to bed. I would usually even leave the house (or pretend to) so my so wouldn't even know I was around and then my DH could use the same routine minus the nursing we just did a sippy of milk. It really seemed to work well for us. GL!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 6:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Funny how anon can have such stong opinions but can't even show who she is.... makes you think she is a coward.
    Anyways OP I agree with mazonmom. That has worked for us as well. Usually when I go take a shower at night DH will rock our 14 month old to sleep.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 6:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Whatever way you go with, be patient and stick to it. My son nursed to sleep until 12 months, then when I stopped I still gave him the paci and held him until he fell asleep. I was so worried that I would never be able to get him to sleep on his own. Then a friend gave me a real nice pep talk and I tried it and low and behold he fell asleep in his bed that night! I realized that he was ready and it was me that was holding him back. Your baby can fall asleep without nursing, don't pass your anxiety about it on to her like I did.

Good luck!

Oh and ignore the anon - what a jerk!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• ok, to the anon who is not really giving a rats a$s and wasting her time on commenting on how i still breast feed at 16 m!

#1:I have your name, you accidentally sent me one w/o covering your name and tried to delete and resend me the same coment. DUMB MOVE..aliishott2 LOOK IT UP LADIES!!

#2: Guess what!? my daughter may be 16mo old and still breast feeds and she may not have walked at 9mos but she DOES...walk at 10m,lifts a table chair at 12m, climbs up tall obstacles at 13m SPEAKS FULL SENTENCES NOW, ...and she speaks both my languages..spanish and english clearly

#3 she does eat hard food, has 10 teeth doesnt drink from a bottle hates her sippy and drinks from a 10oz ceramic coffee mug w/o spilling a drop!!

#4 im sick of STUPID people like you who think they are the best,know everything and are smarter than all of us.. COME BACK TO EARTH!! YOU ARE DREAMING TOO DAMN HIGH!.

#5 you wasted bout 2mintues of my lif
    onehappymommy08

Answer by onehappymommy08 at 11:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2010