how to get my 5yr to listen?

this is been going on for a few weeks, he is doing good with his school work but the teacher says he don't listen to directions and all of a sudden is not acting independently. today she called all the kids in from recess. she blew her whistle and call his name and he didn't come. so she took all the kids in and watched for him and it took him 5min to realize his class was gone. the teacher told him I'm telling your father when he picks you up. and my son said so all he does is take away TV and toys. he's acting like a teenager at 5. what would you do?

northcarolinama

Asked by northcarolinama at 4:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I soo feel you pain! I have a 5 yr old son and he is kinda doing the same things... He will do them on and off though, but the on times last for weeks at a time.. Our chore chart helped some but we are still dealing with the attutiude of being a teenager!!! It drives me nuts.. We have taken all his video games away (which he never got often anyway only 1 hour sat and sun) but just the fact of saying they are gone really got him... know we are trying if you are good for us then you get a check mark each day and at the end of the week each check mark is 10 minutes of games on sunday.. so far that has worked.. but i don't know for how long... I tried a lot of things taking toys away and making him sit when he gets home from school... but he already gets punished at school for being bad so I don't really see how I need to punish a 2nd time for the same thing and that was really stressing him out that is how we cam up with this! gl
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 9:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• Find something else he really love and take that away. Make him go to bed earlier. Things like that.

Answer by louise2 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• done that last night he went to bed 2hours early and today we took away his after school activity. but we did that last week and it worked for a couple a days but we are right were we started.frustrated

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 4:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Have you made sure he does not have a hearing problem?

Answer by louise2 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I think every young child goes through this. My 5 year old talks like she's 16 to my parents and to her little sister - when she thinks I can't hear. You need to take away something that he truly loves, like a special toy or TV show. Time outs worked great with my daughter, we made her stand facing the wall with her hands up against the wall so she wouldn't play with them. She doesn't speak that way to me or my boyfriend and doesn't talk like that to anyone in our presence. Now she's almost never put on the wall.
    Anonymous

• he has been checked a few times unless something came up the last few months or so.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 4:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I greatly suggest getting the book "To Train Up a Child" by Michael and Debi Pearl. www.nogreaterjoy.org I believe using this tool with help you with your son.... I know it helped me with all five of my children!
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 4:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Do you feel that he is trying to act out, or just not paying attention and dreaming in his own little world? His motivation is really going to determine how you handle it.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:11 PM on Feb. 23, 2010