how to get a 5yr to listen?

this is been going on for a few weeks, he is doing good with his school work but the teacher says he don't listen to directions and all of a sudden is not acting independently. today she called all the kids in from recess. she blew her whistle and call his name and he didn't come. so she took all the kids in and watched for him and it took him 5min to realize his class was gone. the teacher told him I'm telling your father when he picks you up. and my son said so all he does is take away TV and toys. he's acting like a teenager at 5. what would you do?

northcarolinama

Asked by northcarolinama at 4:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Instead of taking privileges away that doesn't bother him, try giving him a cleaning job. My kids hate washing walls.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:43 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

• What is the unlining problem going on? You need to find that out.
    Anonymous

• They can pick up attitudes from the other kids. He is pretty brave to talk to the teacher like that. I would talk to my hubby about discipline....be united. I would have a parent teacher meeting, you can do it by phone. All three of you need to be on the same page. Definitely give him punishment. YOu can make him apologize to the teacher for being rude.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• read "Discipline Without Distress" by Judy Arnall...she has great techniques on how to talk with young children about things such as this...many children do not "listen" because they are never listened to them...and it's not like they are ignoring, they just have a different need at the particular time
    Anonymous