Why must we respect ignorant nonsense just because it is part of a religion?

It seems that all one has to do is say that the reason that they believe delusional and irrational things is their religion and that ends the conversation. Why is it okay to be hateful if it is for religious reasons? Religion is dangerous, and is should be taken more seriously.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• worry about your life!! if someone chooses to believe is their choice
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Religion isn't the problem. People are the problem. There are Muslims that think they must kill everyone that doesn't agree with them. There are Christians that think you are going straight to hell if you are homosexual. There are atheists that think Christians and Muslims are mentally deficient because they have a faith in something.

People are the problem not the belief system or lack there of.
    Anonymous

• am christian and i dont follow everything i make choices. like anon said is people not religion!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:16 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Free will, free thinking but sometimes, it's easier for some to be "told" what to do and think. Researching takes time and interest.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• People should have the right to believe what ever they want, no matter how ignorant and stupid it may be, as long as they don't physically harm some one, they should have that right to believe as they wish.  And I agree with the other responses it is not religion that is the problem, it is people. There will always be mean and hateful people. That is just a part of life. Rather there be religion or not. Live and let live.

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 4:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• You assume everyone follows their religion blindly or is brain washed. Is it wrong to believe that something is a sin? If it is, thats too bad. You can judge religious people, but you are only as bad judging people who have religious beliefs if those religious people truly are judging.
    You have your right to believe how you want, religious people have the right to their beliefs. Just because religion may condemn certain acts (homosexuality, being drunk, premarital or extramarital sex, adultery, or even forbidden foods, etc) doesn't make them bad. You believe people who think homosexuals or drunks etc are sinners or are going to hell---anything that isn't POSITIVE and self-fulfilling is being bigoted. Don't you realize you are acting just the same, saying that THAT is the wrong way to think, only because it isn't politically correct?
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 4:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• What someone else chooses to believe may ruin/end/affect your life so I think we should have a slight concern for what some people believe. Just like I concern myself with Sunday Christians, because someday they are goping to come and kill us sabbath keepers. That is the final test of God, who keeps his commandments, and will you die for it. Becaues the majority of us will die for keeping sabbath!
    Anonymous

• You use the word "respect". It's important to realize there is a huge array of beliefs out there, and I might think something you believe is nonsense. Should I not respect it? Intolerance of religious beliefs (or the lack thereof) is the trademark of ignorance.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 4:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• To the anon just before me: Who are you? I know everyone thinks we're nuts, but I believe basically the same thing you do!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 4:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• We have to respect others beliefs because freedom of religion is part of freedom of thought. Over the last century we have watched the USSR and China outlaw "dangerous" religion...those countries weren't exactly "safe" to live in.

The point is, we already have other laws to actual deal with dangerous parts without having to get rid of free thought. We have laws against violence, and hate to slanderous speech.

I'm comfortable letting those laws do their job, and letting people believe whatever the heck they want.
    Anonymous