Why do people still debate evolution despite irrefutable proof of its occurance?

despite the fact that it occurs everyday all around us and can be proven quite easily, evolution is still argued. Why? The reason we constantly update medical prescriptions, the reason birds have different length beaks, the reason nearsightedness is becoming more and more common, and numerous other examples of speciation can ALL be attributed to evolution, yet some refuse to accept it. Why? I ask not from a cynical point of view, but from a sincerely curious nature.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Debate is too strong of a word. No one is debating. Reasonable people present the facts and evidence, and unreasonable people cover their ears and go "lalalalala".
    Anonymous

• Congratulations.

Now replace "evolution" with:

Global Warming
    God
    Alien Encounters
    The Holocaust
    Ghosts
    etc

Answer the question. You should get the same answer for all of these, and the question you posted. It's an interesting philosophical journey; let me know what you come up with.

:-)
    Anonymous

• Australopithicus Afarensis "Lucy."
    I have no idea....lucy is enough for me.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I don't know of anyone who refuses to believe things evolve. That is common sense that things evolve.
    What I think you are refering to is people not believing the earth was just suddenly created by some huge coincidence. In that case why does it really matter to you what people believe about how the earth was created? You cannot prove the big bang theory just as others cannot prove God created the earth.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 3:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 by: Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Congratulations.

Now replace "evolution" with:

Global Warming
    God
    Alien Encounters
    The Holocaust
    Ghosts
    etc

------------------------

Nice list, except that God, Alien Encounters, Ghost, and especially the illusive etc, don't have empirical, testable, repeatably verifiable evidence to support them.
    Anonymous

• I don't think anyone argues that the world is evolving. However, if you're talking about "evolution" as opposed to "creationism," then there will always be arguments pro and con. There is no "irrefutable proof" on either side and so everyone will believe what they will believe. Personally, I think we can believe in both - God creating the world and the world continuing to evolve under His watchful eye.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 4:28 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I believe in evolution, don't care how the earth was created but also believe in the possibility of life on other planets regardless of evidence. I've seen ghosts, believe in the holocaust and am not certain of global warming because of historical ice ages and hot periods. It's all fun to think about though. No need for a heated debate.
    Anonymous

This Just because you can prove that is happens in the current day doesn't mean you can prove anything about how it all started.  They are two different things.

Anonymous

• Why? B/c everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No matter what is presented as fact, we all base receptive knowledge on personal opinion. Does one WANT to accept or believe a fact? To some ppl evolution cancels out the Creator of mankind(God). If an aspect of religion or spirituality has been proven to an individual as factual revelation, then there is no reasoning or questioning evolution or any opposing argument. I think it may be mental translation of mind over matter, or in this case opinion over evidence.

I hope you understand

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 4:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Why do people still debate God despite irrefutable proof of its occurance?
    Anonymous