Sick infant...PLEASE HELP!!!

Long story short : My 3month old dd was admitted on Friday for RSV. It is a respiratory virus that is very hard on babies. They tried to send her home on Saturday and right before we were to leave her oxygen saturations dropped and she was put on oxygen. She stayed on the oxygen all that day and nite. Then they took it off on Sunday, and said they were sending her home. I was upset and made it clear to the Doctor, the nurse, and the resident that I felt she absolutely was NOT ready to go, they insisted she was. So we left and as the day went on she got worse. She was re-admitted later that nite. Now they are going to send her home AGAIN when her oxygen sats are still low. 88-90%. I am furious!!! Anyone have any advice?? I have talked to the peds director and they have to go by what the doc says......UGGHHHH

kiddosX8

Asked by kiddosX8 at 4:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Go to another hospital
    You will be given a new Dr when you get there. Sounds like you need a change. Do you have ins or are you on medcaid where they give you Drs?
    My daughter had RSV when she was 3 months. She was in the hospital for 7 days.
    Good luck but you need another opinion
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• You can call your insurance company and appeal the discharge! It is mostly the insurance requirements and doctors getting bonuses for discharges that cause this. Call and appeal, call the patient care administrator of the hospital and any other administrator! Good Luck! I'll be praying!
    Anonymous

• My baby has RSV too. She's 2 months old. She was hospitalized for 1 night and sent home because he oxygen levels looked good. Our hospital wouldn't release an RSV baby until their oxygen levels were over 95% unassisted. She is on breathing treatments every 4 hours with a nebulizer, but gets a littl better each day (she's been sick 2 weeks).

The respiratory therapist told me that the oxygen levels must be over 92% or the baby will be put on oxygen and monitored. I know from our hospital stay that if the baby is crying or wiggling around that the oxygen levels take a brief drop, but if your baby's oxygen is staying below 92% you need to go to the ER. O2 levels that low will lead to brain damage.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I was just thinking about when my mom was in the hospital. Most hospitals have what they call patient advocates. If not they all have social workers. Talk to them and get the form you need to fill out to challenge their decision. This automatically lets the patient stay in the hospital while they appeal. Check it out
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Take your little one to another hospital plus change baby doctors if need be. This is not normal.
    annie610

Answer by annie610 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 24, 2010