Terrible two's. Need help bad!

My daughter, who is the youngest of 3, just turned 2 on feb 15th. She has been having mild tantrums since before 18 months. We have have had early intervention, and she placed in months advanced for her age, so they figured she was going through terrible two's early. NOW, she is very smart, but since she has turned two has become a HUGE brat. We have taken the advice of dr's, and Early intervention to IGNORE her tantrums, redirect her, etc. Nothing works. I need help. Major help. I never had it this bad with my older two children. I think she has been majorly spoiled by her dad (he is a first time dad) and her meme and pepe since they are first time grandparents. Anyone have any advice on how to stop these? It's embarrassing when I am with friends or in public and she has these fits when she doesn't get her way...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try Love & Logic for Early Childhood. I used this with my twin toddlers and it did wonders for them.

You might also talk to your MIL and see if your husband was like this as a child. Since this child has a different father she may have inherited some different traits and temperaments than your other two.

I would also try to get DH and the grandparents onboard with a a new form of discipline. Let them know that her bad behavior will cause her problems when she gets older and goes to school, and the teachers will not find it funny or cute. Being bratty or spoiled can even cause her problems when it comes to making friends. Teaching her to behave really is for her own good and not just for you.

GL!
    Anonymous

• Um, I have a "strong willed " child and he started tantrums after his colic ended at 7 months.. so yeah, he's far from easy and he's going to test me every road we go down. He just turned 2 in Nov. I am reading all I can about strong willed children, I actually JUST started though, like I have time for anything else since he has decided 4 months ago he's going to wake up again at night and fight me on bedtime but I suggest looking into books or help about strong willed. So far time outs/redirection/threating to take things away/ promises and I know bad, but bribes have failed me.. he's my first and has made it very clear, he wants to be my last.llol!!Being its our first, its a bit more humorous to deal with that a child # 3 though, I understand.. but that's where I'd start if I were you.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• What we do with tantrums is tell my LO to calm down and if she doesn't calm down then she goes into timeout where she will scream upwards of 15-20 mins. Once she is calm for atleast 1 min we go and get her from timeout. Being consistent with this has helped calm the tantrums and get them under control for us. Now I am dealing with a defiant child. Also remember that terrible two's starts in the second year of life not when they are two.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2010