Should intelligent falling be taught in the classroom too or only gravitationalism?

It takes more faith to believe in nothing than it takes to believe in an Intelligent Faller (IF)! Do you think science should be based on the consensus of humanist materialist liberal atheist scientists or on pure logic and reason which says there must be a God behind it all?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it should be taught based on fact, not theory. They shouldn't teach theory as fact.
    I had one teacher that tried to teach us about reincarnation. I was in middle school and had enough sense to say "can you really prove that?"
    If there is more than one theory, teach it.
    Don't teach evolution as fact. Gravity is fact. Velocity is fact. The periodic table is fact. Evolution isn't. It's a widely argued theory... it leaves god totally out of the picture, when there could be a god (or gods or whatever other people believe). I am going to teach my kids, if their school tries to teach it as fact, to say "Yes, but did you witness this? Was it recorded over time?"
    At the very least, nothing in the bible has been disproven. It has a written history. And actually, many things in the bible have been proven (the great flood, etc).
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 5:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Your silly question would be a better argument if a Law and a Theory were the same thing, but they aren't. Gravity is a Law. Evolution is a Theory. Intelligent Design is a hypothesis. That doesn't mean ID should be taught - it's not on par with Evolution. But that doesn't make it ok for you to make the same ignorant mistake by comparing Evolution to Gravity.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• God is based on faith, science should be based on experiments and exploration.  I have no problem separating the two.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

What she said!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• missbreezy - The difference between a scientific theory and a scientific law is complexity NOT the amount of supporting evidence. A scientific law can be explained in concise terms, actions or set of actions - sometimes even a single mathematical equation. A scientific theory is more complex - it's an explanation of a set of information, verified multiple times by different researches. A scientific theory is much closer to a scientific law than a hypotheseis (which is basically an educated guess). Your response sounded like you were confusing a scientific theory with a hypothsis. Both a scientific theory and a scientific law are accepted to be true by the scientific community as a whole. Both are used to make predictions of events. Both are used to advance technology. So both must be taught in science classes. Evolution is as much a "fact" as gravity is. (BTW - gravity is both a scientific law and a theory...)
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 5:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• wtheck is an intelligent faller?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I suspect that intelligent falling is the religious alternative to the godless theory of gravity....
    Anonymous

• I had a science professor who said "I don't think the purpose of science is to disprove God, rather, I think it's about discovering some of His methods."

Now before you freak out about a professor talking about God, I'll tell you it was a private university where that kind of talk is legal and fine.

Anyway, I agree with my professor that God is the creator of the laws of nature, and I have no problem saying I think God wrote the laws of gravity also.

I know that sort of talk isn't acceptable in public schools, but I'm glad for private schools that allow that kind of conversation still.
    Anonymous

• "Gravity is a Law. Evolution is a Theory."

Nope, gravity is also a theory. Part of that theory is expressed in an equation. It is the equation which is termed a 'law'.

Parts of evolutionary theory can also be expressed as equations, such as the Price Equation.

Clairwil

Answer by Clairwil at 7:19 AM on Mar. 1, 2010