Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do if a sex offender that raped a child close in age to your kid and the same sex as your kid, moved in down the street?

I just got notified about this guy in the mail today.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (10)
  • move

    Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 5:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • There's nothing you can do but continue to keep your child safe. Yes a registered moved in down the street but what about the one who is yet to be caught or is not registered who may have already lived there...or will be on another street you move to? Always know where your child is, who he/she plays with, and who is in that home.

    Answer by MamaChamp at 5:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • My town has registered sex offenders in it plus nearby towns have them too. Thank God I live in a state that's very public with rso offenses. And I had, unknown to me when I moved in, two middle age men live near by -they lived together and didn't drive or work, not different in any way except they never drove and were always always home. But they're gone thankfully.

    In my state no one is 'allowed' to talk to another resident in their neighborhood about an offender who's moved in. yeah right lol.

    I keep a close eye on my kids they do not go anywhere without me, mine are very grown. They know what's around. They don't stay home alone.

    We considered getting a gps watch or keychain for my youngest although quite grown a while ago.

    You can look into moving and move, of course. But that's not to stop someone else in your new neighborhood who's a rgo from moving in. My kids know that, a sexual perpetrator missn.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • Everywhere you go you're going to be living around convicted sex offenders. Most of the time, you're not going to actually know what their offense was. Being a registered sex offender doesn't necessarily mean pedophilia or even rape. It can even be indecent exposure (ie, someone made a stupid mistake, got drunk, urinated in public and got caught). Now, personally, I'd just keep an eye on my child. There's nothing you can do. At least the person actually registered and notified the right people of his move so they could warn you. And it's not like you can just up and move. I did quit a job when I found out my boss was a convicted pedophile. It's a lot easier to quit a job than it is to move. Just watch your kid and make sure you and your neighbors can help watch each other's kids. Also, I don't know how yougn your child is, but teach them the "good touch, bad touch" lesson.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • These assholes have rights there is nothing you can do but keep your eye on him 24/7.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • How do you find out where the sex offenders are in your city?

    Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • My daughter is six months old so I wouldn't do anything. It's not like she is going to get up and walk down to his house. If she were older, I still probably wouldn't do much. I don't plan on letting her wander around the neighborhood loose. I would definitely be having talks about strangers and that sort of thing. I mean what else can you do? Move? Where? How do you know a molester that has never been caught isn't living next door right now. I guess you could move out to the middle of nowhere.

    Answer by Christina807 at 6:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • Nothing I don't already do anyway.

    Answer by gdiamante at 6:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

  • If he comes in you yard have him arrested. WAtch out for that trash.

    Answer by annie610 at 9:27 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

  • I don't worry about them, I do my job, never let my kids out of my sight unless with a trusted adult or family member. If you parent your child, then they are safe.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.