Doctor induced drug addiction.....

My pain Doctor has me on 75 mic. of Fentanyl. It's a heavy narcotic that is absorbed from a patch through the skin into the blood stream. I have a neurological disease (Dystonia) that affects my muscles, causing disabling pain and abnormal posturing. How can I help my child to understand the concept of Doctor induced addiction and mental addiction? Have you had to explain? I'm addicted physically to Fentanyl, i go through withdrawls like what a junky goes through without thier heroin, coke, oxy, ect. Its torture.
I dont want to be addicted to fentanyl. I want my system clean, I want my kids to see that i can function without meds, that im not the junky image they see in the media ...my guilt is emense, i am useless without narcotics.
I want feed back, that is why I asked the question however i feel like the CM community is thoughtful enough not to answer without a small understanding of this topic.and no I cant just stop.

Ihatelaundry

Asked by Ihatelaundry at 5:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Continued.
    I am also interested in hearing about your own circumstances involving Dr. induced addiction.
    This problem goes way back however It seems to have created a momentum, as I have read and heard more about it.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 5:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• There is a time and a place for all things. If you need pain management to function in your everyday life you should not feel guilty about that. Have you talked to your doctor about adjusting your dosage and supplementing with exercises like yoga and other natural relaxation/pain relief methods? I am not saying that this is necessary, I only bring it up because it seems to be bothering you.

As for the kids, just let them know that those street drugs were once did or still do have a medicinal purpose, but what they see on TV and in movies is the result of abuse - improper use. You are not abusing your drugs, you are using them for their specific purpose for a legitimate medical condition under the supervision of a physician. You don't buy them on the corner, you do perform unseemly acts to procure them, and you certainly are not putting them ahead of your family.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• As long as you aren't abusing your meds you have no reason to feel bad about needing them to function. Once your children are old enough to understand explain to them about your disease and the drugs that treat it.

I don't really love the term "doctor induced drug addiction" though. You went to this pain doctor for treatment and help right? And that's what he did for you? Was there something you would have rathered he do other than prescribe you drugs to help with your pain?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 6:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I believe the term of doctor induced drug addiction is wrong. It is not the doctor's fault that you have a neurological disease. Your children will not see you as a junkie if you are using the drugs properly and it's not smart nor safe for you to stop taking the drugs if you need them to function. What good are you to your children if you are in constant pain?
    Anonymous

• Dr. induced addiction is a perfect description! I went to the dr so i could find out what was going on. Instead of pursuing the medical evidence they decided that I wasdidnt quite fit the textbook version of my disease so they threw medication at me. I was only 19 (30 now). Because of my age they assumed it couldnt be Dystonia. Guess what? I diagnosed myself after they submitted a list of possible disease to the social security admin for disability I was bent to the right at my neck among other issues.they never once thought to investigate the possibility one of the diseases on thier list or any others. They should have sent me to a neurolgist...At that point i could have done something to pervent the disease from progressing.....ie yoga or alternative natural medicine......They Drs gave me a very addicting substance and said this will help and if it doesnt then we will try something else. I had to trust them.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 7:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• anyone else want to share thier experience? Im curious to hear about others situation...
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 3:30 AM on Feb. 24, 2010