Curly haired baby?

Ok so my DD inherited her curly hair from her daddy, I have straighter than straight hair, and it is getting to a point where I don't know what to do. She looks like a hockey player, the back of her hair is a lot longer than the front and top. I was told not to give her bangs because of the curls, so other than just putting it up, how can I get it out of her eyes? Should I trim it to get it to grow? Should I just keep pig tails and ponytails going until it gets longer?

truealaskanmom

Asked by truealaskanmom at 6:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Best toddler hair tools for me were the snag-free rubber bands. You can pull part or all of her hair into those and they stay pretty well. Hairclips/barrets suck! Also, I did make the mistake of cutting bangs on my curly haired girl, and it was a nightmare. Hang in there - it will get better.
    Anonymous

• you can get some little barrettes and just clip back the part that gets in her face.
    Anonymous

• Do they make them where they stay put, the ones I have seem to slip through her hair because it is still so baby soft, and then she pulls them out because they move, I would love to find some good ones, hair time is so frustrating especially because I just don't understand curly hair.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• they have velcro ones for infants, otherwise tho, just hang in there. nothing you can do about it being baby fine and curly. you are lucky to be able to do pigtails, cuz many moms cant get that going till later lol.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I'd let it grow--no need to cut it--she'll have GORGEOUS long curls in a few years that people pay 100's of dollars annually to replicate with perms! You can use head bands, small barrettes, and pony tail holders to keep the hair out of her face until then.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• we pull dd's hair back in a half pony tail. keeps the hair out of her fac and looks cute with her curls in the back. we did not buy rubber band looking ones! they're Ouchless and pink but tiny. Also, you can take a clippy barette and twist what would be her bangs back and clip them. or just clip them off to the side.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 6:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Trimming hair does not make it grow faster. Diet is about the only thing that can affect hair growth, other than genetics.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• my kids have curly hair and I don't do bangs for my girls. I just put it up. I am having a issue with the 23mos old she pulls it down! Her sister never did this and I call her monkey hair because its all wild! I just keep fixing it though! LOL
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2010