Did you take childbirth classes?

Why or why not, and do you think they really gave you enough information?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I did! I am so happy that I took them, they were once a week for 5 weeks and they were very helpful! The woman who taught the class answered any questions I had and I learned so much from the class! The breathing techniques you learn are amazing, they helped me through my all natural labor! I highly reccommend taking them!
    Amanda704

Answer by Amanda704 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• We did with our first. We took Bradly classes. For us it did not help. We had a class with people all they wanted to take about was what was healthy to eat to the extreme. Example: One night on our two hour class they descussed what sugar is better for you the whole time. We did two nights on ways to birth. It really did nothing for us at all. With our second we did not.
    Anonymous

• No, I did not, but did my own research and studied a little about the whole process and everything, so I felt very prepared. I don't think (although I couldn't say for sure) I missed anything by not going to one.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 6:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• i took childbirth classes with my third child because i was determined to have a natural, drug free birth. it helped emensly because the class taught pain managment skills. i think without the class i would have had the epidural and i am very happy i took the class because i was able to use the techniques they taught me to get through the pain and deliver my baby without drugs. the experience was amazing and it made the bond with my baby so strong. my first two i had an epidural, went to sleap, and woke up ready to push, cant remember most of the births and it took months to bond with them the way i bonded with lexi immediatly.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• No. I did my own research...
    I wanted natural birth & have heard hospital classes really know how to put the fear in women & I DIDNT want that for me or my husband! I would have loved to take something like the bradley method or anything that actually gave the woman info to IMPOWER herself & give her the "goods" to know she CAN do it!
    Anonymous

• I didn't, I felt like I had done enough research on my own and it would just be a waste of time. I had a drug free birth and everything went fine. I don't feel like I missed anything by not taking the classes.
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 7:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• I did. I also did research on my own, constantly. I could not read enough about pregnancy, child birth, or delivery. The classes I took were geared toward natural child birth and were with this great woman who teaches classes and runs a doula agency. She is absolutely amazing. She talked to us about knowing everything there is to know about all possible out comes. She talked about striving for a natural birth but not to feel like a failure if something goes wrong. She was just all about information and not about dogma. It was great.

All of the women in my class had boys all in the same week! We all still get together often with all of our boys. It's been so awesome watching them grow together. They are all about 18 months now.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2010

• Unless they teach you how to scream bloody murder, they are a waste of time. Nothing can prepare you and each delivery is different. I read books etc, but when it came down to it, I just took it as it came...it is all you can really do.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:29 AM on Feb. 24, 2010